This small batch of Baked Chocolate Pistachio Donuts are small in size, but big on taste! They're soft, moist, and oh-so-chocolatey! Top them with this silky chocolate ganache and chopped pistachios and you got yourself a really delicious donut! They're great to share with your besties, your neighbors, or just keep them all for yourself!
Recipe makes about 10, approx. 3.5" diameter donuts.
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 3 tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Oil (Vegetable or Canola)
- 1/4 cup Boiling Water
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Pistachios, no shells, roasted and salted, chopped into little bits
- Using a small food processor (or small ziploac bag and a hammer), chop up the pistachios (make sure you've removed the shells first!) into small bits. Some big bits are fine too! Set aside.
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd tier and pre-heat the oven to 425ºF. Generously coat the donut pans with a flour-based baking spray. Set aside.
- Using a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and sugar. Add in the egg, oil, vanilla, and milk and mix together until blended.
- In a heat proof, microwave safe glass measuring cup, heat up 1/4 cup of water in the microwave until it's boiling. I heated my up for about 3 minutes.
- Pour into the donut batter and mix until blended, but do not over mix.
- Fill a large piping bag with the batter and then, when ready, snip the end of the bag with a pair of scissors and begin to fill eat donut cavity about 3/4 of the way full, or 3 times around with the piping bag.
- Place donut pans side-by-side in the oven and bake for 7-9 minutes at 425ºF. When done, donuts should spring back when you gently press on them. Allow them to slightly cool in the pans for abut 5 minutes before removing them. Then place on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Once completely cooled, the chocolate ganache and pistachios are next!
- Place the semi-sweet chocolate chips into a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- Using a microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup, heat the heavy whipping cream for 45 seconds. Pour it over the chocolate chips, add in the vanilla extract, and then stir until completely melted and smooth. Use a small spatula to smoosh any stubborn chocolate chips that may not want to melt fully. If the ganache seems too thin for your liking, you can add in a few more chocolate chips. Likewise, if you find the ganache to be too thick, you can add a small amount of heated heavy cream to the mixture to get your desired consistency.
- Once smooth, dip each cooled baked chocolate donut into the ganache, swirl around, and then carefully lift up and place onto a cooling rack.
- Place the cooling rack over top of a baking sheet, then sprinkle the chopped pistachios all over the donuts. The baking sheet is to catch all of the extra bits that will inevitably miss the tops of the donuts during sprinkling.
- Grab a few plates and enjoy them with family, friends, or keep them all to yourself!
- Donuts will keep at room temp in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: baked chocolate pistachio donuts, baked chocolate donuts, chocolate donuts, chocolate ganache, small batch baked donuts, pistachios, chocolate, donuts, doughnuts, baked donuts recipe