These Chocolate Covered Cookie Dough Hearts combine homemade, edible chocolate chip cookie dough that's covered in a rich, semi-sweet melted dark chocolate, and topped with sprinkles! They're easy to make and are the perfect Valentine's Day gift to make for your schmoo, your friends, neighbors, or coworkers!
chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (122 grams) Morena Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup (106 grams) Simply Nature Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Friendly Farms Milk, any
- 2 teaspoons Stonemill Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 3/4 cups (259 grams) Baker’s Corner All-Purpose Flour, heat treated
- 1/2 cup (90 grams) Baker’s Corner Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
melted chocolate covering
- 1, 12 ounce (340 grams) bag of Baker’s Corner Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 square of Paraffin Wax, 1 tablespoon Vegetable Shortening, or 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil (see notes)
- Valentine’s Day themed sprinkles
recommended baking tools
- Hand-Held Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Wax Paper
- Baking Sheets
- Rolling Pin
- Forks or Candy Dipping Tools
- Double Boiler or Large Microwave Safe Bowl
- Small Heart-Shaped Cookie Cutter
chocolate chip cookie dough
- Adjust your oven rack to the 2nd level position and pre-heat your oven to 300ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then spread out your measured all-purpose flour on top. Bake for 10 minutes, with every 2-3 minutes mixing up the flour so it doesn't clump. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Using your hand-held mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the unsalted butter, pure cane sugar, and light brown sugar on medium-high speed until well blended. The mixture should look light and fluffy. Add in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, gradually adding in the heat treated and cooled all-purpose flour and salt until well combined. The dough should be thick and slightly sticky.
- Fold in the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Transfer the chocolate chip cookie dough onto a sheet of wax paper, then top with another sheet of parchment paper.
- Pat down the cookie dough mixture in between the two sheets of wax paper with your hands until you can begin to roll it out with a rolling pin. Roll the dough out to a 1/2 inch thickness, then place it into the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Using your small heart-shaped cookie cutters, cut out each heart and place onto a wax paper lined baking sheet. When all the cookie dough has been used, place the baking sheet back into the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until the dough is cold and firm.
melting the chocolate (if using paraffin wax)
- Using a double boiler (fill the bottom boiler with about 1″-1.5″ water), melt the wax first over a low simmering heat uncovered until melted. Add in the bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and stir continuously until completely smooth and melted. You can continue to keep the boiler simmering over low heat or you can choose to turn it off. Keep a spatula nearby to occasionally stir the chocolate.
- See notes for alternative method of melting chocolate with vegetable shortening or coconut oil.
dipping the chocolate chip cookie hearts
- Place one chocolate chip cookie dough heart into the melted chocolate, then coat all sides using using a fork or candy dipping tools. Carefully lift up and gently tap or run the bottom side of the fork on the edge of the double boiler to remove any excess chocolate. Place onto the wax paper-lined baking sheet, then immediately decorate with sprinkles.
- Repeat step 2 until all the chocolate chip cookie dough hearts have been coated in the melted chocolate and topped with the sprinkles.
- When finished, place the cookie dough hearts in the refrigerator to chill. This will give the melted chocolate time to set as well.
- Trim off any excess chocolate from the bottom, if desired. Keep chocolate covered cookie dough hearts stored in an airtight container with layers separated by wax paper.
alternative way to melt chocolate (if using this method, only use with vegetable shortening or coconut oil)
- Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips and vegetable shortening (or coconut oil) to a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-45 second increments at 50-60% power until the chocolate is smooth and melted.
Keywords: chocolate covered cookie dough hearts, chocolate covered chocolate chip cookie dough hearts, cookie dough hearts, chocolate chip cookie dough hearts, chocolate, cookie dough, edible cookie dough, valentine's day, easy valentine's day treats