This Classic 4 Egg Yellow Sheet Cake with Chocolate Frosting recipe combines a moist and fluffy, thick yellow cake with the best, and most decadent, homemade chocolate frosting! It’s the perfect sheet cake to make for a family or co-workers birthday party or for any celebration!
4 egg yellow sheet cake
- 2 3/4 cups (397 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup (172 grams) Vegetable Shortening
- 2 cups (416 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
homemade chocolate frosting (this will make enough to frost a sheet cake or cupcakes)
4 egg yellow sheet cake
- Adjust your oven to the second level position and preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Generously spray a 13″ x 9″ sheet cake pan with a flour-based baking spray. If you’d like an easy way to remove the sheet cake for frosting, add a parchment paper sleeve to the inside of the sheet pan. Respray with the baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set to the side.
- Using your hand held mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the shortening and granulated sugar together on medium high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Reducing the mixer speed, alternate between adding the dry mixture with the milk. Repeat until both have just combined with the batter. Be careful not to over mix!
- Pour the batter into the prepared 13″ x 9″ sheet cake pan. Gently tap a few times to remove any possible air bubbles.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350ºF or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the sheet cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before inverting it onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Add the chocolate frosting once the cake has cooled.
homemade chocolate frosting
- In a microwaveable bowl, melt the chocolate in 30-45 increments at 50% power, stirring until melted and smooth. Set to the side.
- Using your hand held mixer or stand up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the unsalted butter, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt on low-medium speed until well-blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add in the corn syrup, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate and mix until full combined.
- Frost your 4 egg yellow sheet cake using an offset spatula.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe can be made as cupcakes as well! Change the oven temp to 375ºF and bake the cupcakes for 15-20 minutes. Makes approx. 30 cupcakes.
- Alternatively, you can also make this in a tube pan. Set oven temp at 375ºF and bake for approximately 55-60 minutes.
- Cake recipe is from the recipe box of my late Grammy.
- Frosting recipe is adapted from “The Perfect Cake” book by America’s Test Kitchen.
Keywords: 4 egg yellow cake, yellow cake, chocolate frosting, cake, 4 egg yellow cupcakes, 4 egg cake, sheet cake