You can't go wrong with making these Homemade Snowflake Butter Cookies! They're a great classic treat for any holiday and any occasion! They're simple, yet sophisticated and have a rich, buttery taste! Grab yourself a snowflake cookie stamp (or whatever you prefer to use) and let's get baking!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium- to medium-high speed until nice and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla.
- Switch the mixer speed to low and gradually add in the dry mixture until it's blended with the wet mixture.
- Cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 1 hour in the refrigerator. You can, alternatively, chill the dough overnight as well. If you choose this option, you may want to shape the dough into discs, like you would for pie crust, so it's easier to roll out the next day. When ready to bake, bring the dough out to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Adjust the oven rack to 2nd level position and pre-heat the oven to 325ºF. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out the dough (1/2″-5/8″ thickness) onto a floured surface. Using the lightly floured snowflake stamp, stamp out each cookie and place it on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. For a well-defined cookie shape, it’s recommended to chill the cookies in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes before placing in the oven to bake.
- Once chilled, bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes (my oven did well at 10 minutes) at 325ºF. Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container with a slice of bread.
Butter Cookie recipe adapted from A Recipe Sampler by St. Andrew's Evangelical Lutheran Church cookbook.
Keywords: homemade butter cookies, homemade snowflake butter cookies, butter cookies, cookies, holiday treats, holiday cookies, easy holiday cookie recipes, butter