Layered S’mores Brownies are the perfect way to elevate that classic summer treat into something a little fancy! It’s a decadent dessert made in an 8″ x 8″ baking pan that layers toasted mini marshmallows, fudgy brownies with milk chocolate caramel squares, followed by a buttery, graham cracker crust. It’s a must try for summer, fall, or really anytime of the year!
how to make perfectly layered s’mores brownies
This classic layered S’mores Brownies recipe is an easy one that’s broken out into 3 layers —the graham cracker crust, super fudgy brownies with milk chocolate caramel squares, followed by the toasted mini marshmallows.
graham cracker crust
The first layer in this brownie recipe is the graham cracker crust. It combines only 2 ingredients: melted butter and graham cracker crumbs.
Using my food processor I pulverize 12 graham crackers, then add in the melted butter. Next, you’ll spoon the crust into the bottom of a prepared 8″ x “8 baking pan and press down using the bottom of a measuring cup or glass until level.
I make this part of the recipe first because it requires a little bit of chilling in the freezer while you make the brownie batter.
fudgy brownies with milk chocolate caramel squares
For this part of the layered s’mores brownies recipe, I’ve tweaked my Double Chocolate Mint Brownies recipe to make them even fudgier, if you can believe it!
In place of the melted Andes chocolates I used in the mint brownies, I’m using 9 Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares. The difference this time around is you don’t melt the squares. You’ll simply unwrap them and place them in a grid pattern in between two layers of the brownie batter. I’ve also increased the baking time slightly because of the graham cracker crust below them.
toasted mini marshmallows
The toasted mini marshmallows layer is probably the easiest one of them all because it’s the only ingredient needed! Of course, if you’d rather use the regular large-size marshmallows that’s okay too!
For the toasting part, you’ll need to use your oven’s broiler. Never broiled anything before? I’ve got you covered with a bunch of tips below on how to do it without burning your marshmallows to bits!
how to toast marshmallows in your oven using the broiler
If you saw my Instagram Stories the other day, you got to see the first round of these layered s’mores brownies that went up in flames.
Literally. I’m not making this up.
Go ahead, you can laugh! I am…now.
So, I thought I would take a minute to give you some helpful broiling tips for toasting the mini-marshmallow layer of this s’mores brownies recipe.
After baking the brownies and placing the mini marshmallows on top, switch the oven from Bake to Broil, and select ‘HI’.
Some ovens will have a temperature that you can enter, some will have the Hi/Low combination, and others will just have the broil setting. My oven has the HI/LOW setting.
If your oven has the temperature option, please refer to your oven’s manual for recommended broiler temps – or Google it. Google has all the answers!
oven rack position
You can either leave the oven rack at the 2nd level mark or you can move it down to the 3rd level. I would highly recommend moving your s’mores brownies to 3rd level. This is where I placed mine the 2nd time around and it took almost 6 minutes.
Whatever level you decide to move your oven rack to, do not become impatient and move it to the top level that’s directly underneath the broiler. You might think that it will be quicker to toast the mini marshmallows this way, but you’ll more than likely burn them badly and, worse yet, you’ll set the top layer on fire. Ahem, like I did.☺️
Avoid any distractions as much as possible while you’re broiling the top of the mini marshmallows layer. It’s important to pay attention and keep and eye on the mini marshmallows while they toast. Toasting the marshmallows can take any where from 3-6 minutes.
set a timer
Set a timer on your phone, the microwave, a kitchen timer—anything to help you keep track of the time.
how to tell when they’re done
Take them out of the oven once the tops of them have turned a light golden brown color. Leaving them in longer can result in possibly burning them.
Despite my epic fail the first time around, broiling in itself really isn’t difficult. But, like I mentioned above and will stress again here, you really need to pay attention to the time while they’re in there.
recommended baking tools for making layered s’mores brownies
last minute quick s’mores brownie making tips
- Recommended baking times for the brownies are 35-40 minutes at 350ºF. My brownies took the full 40 minutes. I recommend starting to check them at the 35 minutes mark.
- Broiling times will vary from oven to oven, but for this recipe, the recommended times are 3-6 minutes. Carefully monitor the broiling time!
- I used my 8″ x 8″ baking pan by USA Pan. This pan is one of the best pans I’ve ever used. It’s indestructible!
- Lining your baking pan with parchment is optional, but it does help when it comes time to cutting your s’mores brownies. If you choose to line the pan, make sure to spray it with a flour-based baking spray before and after placing the paper.
- You can use mini marshmallows or the regular large-size marshmallows.
- When adding the marshmallows, I placed them in rows, but you can get creative and do a cool swirl pattern, or just simply place them on top!
These perfectly layered s’mores brownies recipe is a decadent dessert with toasted mini marshmallows, fudgy brownies with Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares inside, followed by a buttery, graham cracker crust. It’s a must try this summer, fall, and all year round!
graham cracker crust
- 12 Honey Graham Crackers, crushed into fine crumbs
- 5 tbsp. Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 cup (125g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup (48g) Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp. or 53g) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (49g) Vegetable Oil (or you can use Canola or Coconut)
- 1 1/4 cups (264g) Granulated Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, whisked slightly
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 9 Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Caramel Squares, unwrapped and placed in grid pattern
toasted mini marshmallows
- 3–4 cups Mini Marshmallows
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position, pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Generously spray an 8″ x 8″ pan with a flour-based baking spray. Set aside. Tip: If you’d like to be able to pull the brownies out of the pan easier to cut them, add 2 overlapping strips of parchment paper on top of the flour-based coated pan, then spray again with the flour-based baking spray. If you plan to just keep them in the pan to cut them, then you can skip the parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, pulverize the graham crackers into fine crumbs. Add in the melted butter and pulse until fully combined.
- Spoon the graham cracker crust into the borrow of the prepared 8” x 8” brownie pan, then place in the freezer to chill while you prepare the brownie batter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and unsweetened cocoa. Set aside.
- Using your hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the unsalted butter, vegetable oil, and granulated sugar together on medium speed until well blended.
- Add in the slightly whisked eggs and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Switching the mixer speed to low, add in your dry ingredients a little at a time until it’s blended with the wet mixture. Be careful not to over mix the brownie batter.
- Bring the pan out from the freezer and spoon half of the brownie batter onto the top of the chilled graham cracker crust. Evenly place each unwrapped Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Caramel Square in a grid pattern, then pour the remaining half of brownie batter over top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350ºF. Baking Tip: Avoiding the caramel squares as best you can, insert a toothpick to make sure your brownies are done. If they still have crumbs on the toothpick, remove them from the oven. If they still have brownie batter on the toothpick, then keep them in, but monitor them every minute until done.
- Using hot pads move the oven rack from the 2nd level position to the 3rd level position. Switch your oven settings from bake to broil, and set to HI.
- Carefully top the brownies with the mini marshmallows, then place the pan into the broiler.
- Toast/broil the marshmallows for 3-6 minutes max. Closely monitor this part of the recipe carefully so the marshmallows do not burn.
- Remove from the oven when the mini marshmallows have puffed up and have a very light golden brown color to them.
- Remove s’mores brownies from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into them.
Keywords: layered s’mores brownies, s’mores brownies, easy s’mores brownies, chocolate, brownies, marshmallows, mini marshmallows, graham cracker crust, graham crackers, ghirardelli milk chocolate caramel squares
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Policies page.
Beyond the Butter, LLC owns the copyright on all images and written content within this blog post. If you would like to republish a Beyond the Butter recipe, please feel free to do so by using 1 photo and a link back to the recipe. If you would like to republish the recipe on your site, please link back to the original recipe at the top of the post, use your own photos, and rewrite the full recipe in your own words to make it your own.