This Salted Caramel Banana Nut Bread is a super moist and delicious dessert bread with a thick caramel sauce that’s not only swirled and baked inside, but drizzled all over the top along with chopped pecans and sea salt flakes. It’s a must-make recipe anytime of the year!
- 1/4 cup (32 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/8 cup (28 grams) Unsalted Butter, very cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) Pecans, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup (212 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (187 grams) Light or Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Coconut Oil
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups (392 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup (190 grams) Mashed Bananas (about 2-3 medium size and overly ripen)
- 1/3 cup (92 grams) Thick Caramel Sauce, plus more for drizzling over the top
- Sea Salt Flakes
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour and light brown sugar.
- Add the pieces of unsalted butter and using a pastry blender or a fork, cut the butter into the mixture until it forms into the crumbly mixture.
- Add in the chopped pecans. Set to the side.
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position and pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
- Generously spray 2 bread loaf tins with a flour-based baking spray or grease with vegetable shortening and lightly flour. Optional step: add a parchment paper sling to each tin, then lightly respray with the baking spray. This will eliminate having to invert the tins to remove the bread later for cooling. Set the tins to the side.
- In a large-size mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, light brown sugar, coconut oil, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Add in the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix until combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in the mashed bananas and caramel sauce. Baking tip: heat up the caramel sauce in the microwave for a few seconds to help add it to the bread batter.
- Evenly divide half the banana bread batter into the two prepared loaf tins, top with the crumb topping, then sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350ºF or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the salted caramel banana bread loaves in the pans for approximately 10 minutes before removing them from the tins. Then transfer them to a wire cooling rack, and allow the bread to cool for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle with more caramel and sea salt flakes.
Recipe adapted from A Taste of Bedminster Elementary cookbook.
Keywords: salted caramel banana nut bread, banana nut bread, salted caramel, banana bread