These Simple and Delicious Black Bottom Cupcakes are marbled masterpieces that will melt in your mouth the minute you take a bite! They are rich, chocolatey, super moist, and filled with the creamiest chocolate chip cream cheese filling ever!
cream cheese filling
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened and at room temperature
- 1 Large Egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 6 ounces Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
cream cheese filling
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 standard cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- Using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy (2-3 minutes).
- Add in the granulated sugar and egg and continue to mix until completely blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula. Set to the side.
- Using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment mix together on low-medium speed the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and sugar.
- On low speed, add in the eggs, vegetable oil, water, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined. The batter will be on the thin, runnier side.
- Using a cookie scoop, fill the cupcake liners no more than 1/2 full, then top with 1-2 tablespoons of the cream cheese filling.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes at 350ºF.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes in cupcake tin. Then transfer to wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- This makes roughly 30 cupcakes, so you will need to repeat this process one more time. Alternatively, you can half this recipe to get roughly 15 cupcakes.
Your eggs should be at room temperature before starting
The cream cheese should be softened and at room temperature. If it's still even the slightest bit cold, it will leave small lumps in the filling and look like cottage cheese.
Fill the cupcake liners only half way full to leave room for the dollop of cream cheese filling.
This simple and delicious black bottom cupcakes recipe can easily be made in a 13" x 9" x 1" baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Recipe adapted from the 1992 St. Andrew's Heavenly Delights Cookbook.
Keywords: black bottom cupcakes, cupcakes, cheesecake cupcakes, cream cheese filling, chocolate chips, easy desserts