Quick and easy s'mores rolls that combine a soft and fluffy dough that's filled with a layer of chocolate ganache and crushed graham cracker crumbs, then topped with a light marshmallow topping! From start to finish, these warm, gooey chocolatey rolls will be ready in less than an hour!
- 1 cup (240 ml) Milk, lukewarm
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Water, lukewarm
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) Instant Yeast
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 3 3/4 cups (508 grams) All-Purpose Flour, spooned and leveled
- 4 tablespoons (50 grams) Unsalted butter, divided and melted (2 tablespoons melted butter for the dough, 2 tablespoons melted butter for brushing)
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) Salt
chocolate graham cracker filling
- 1/8 cup (11 grams) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/8 cup (30 ml) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 tablespoon (16 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) Graham Cracker Crumbs, finely crushed (about 1 1/2-2 graham cracker sheets)
marshmallow meringue topping
for the dough
- Using your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine all 7 dough ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Switch out the paddle attachment for the hook attachment and knead on low speed for 6-8 minutes, or until the dough is smooth.
- Place the dough onto a clean, lightly floured surface, cover with a clean kitchen or tea towel, and let rest for 15 minutes.
for the chocolate graham cracker filling
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the filling ingredients except for the graham cracker crumbs and continually whisk over low-medium heat until the filling is well blended and smooth.
- Remove from heat, then pour into a separate bowl and allow to cool. The graham cracker crumbs are added when you assemble the rolls.
assembling the rolls
- Coat a 9.5 inch round pan with a flour-based baking spray and set aside.
- Adjust the oven rack to 2nd level mark (just above center) and preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Remove the kitchen towel that was placed over the dough and, using a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to about a 10" x 16" rectangle.
- Using a pastry brush, brush on half of the 2 tablespoons of melted butter, leaving about 1/2” of space from the edge.
- With an offset spatula, spread the chocolate filling out onto a thin layer, again leaving 1/2" of space from the edge. Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs over the top.
- Starting with the long side, roll up the dough like you would for a jelly roll, pinching the seams to seal.
- Using a sharp knife cut off the ends, then cut the roll into approximately 8-10 equal sizes and place into the pan cut side down.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-28 minutes or until a light golden brown. While you bake the rolls, you can make the marshmallow meringue topping.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool slightly for about 10 minutes.
marshmallow meringue topping
- Using a bain-marie or double boiler, heat the egg whites and granulated sugar over 1 – 1.5 inches of simmering water, continually whisking until the sugar has fully dissolved (about 5-6 minutes). You can do a quick test by rubbing a little of the mixture between your pointer finger and thumb to make sure all sugar granules have dissolved.
- Transfer the hot mixture to a mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and set the speed to high. When the mixture initially reaches the soft peaks stage, add in the cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla extract. Continue to mix on high speed right until stiff, glossy peaks form (about 10 minutes).
- Top the warm rolls with the marshmallow meringue topping and, if desired, lightly toast the top using your oven's broiler setting or use a kitchen blowtorch.
Keywords: s'mores rolls, homemade s'mores rolls, s'mores, marshmallow topping, chocolate ganache filling, graham cracker crumbs