These Super Easy Lemon Bars combine a tart and tangy lemon curd filling with a buttery, shortbread crust. Made in an 8" x 8" baking pan, they make the perfect citrus-y treat to enjoy with family, friends, or coworkers all year round!
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup (125 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (32 grams) Powdered Sugar
lemon curd filling
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice (2-3 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest, finely grated
- 3 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (319 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup (72 grams) All-Purpose Flour, sifted
- Powdered Sugar (for dusting)
- Lightly spray an 8” x 8” baking pan with a flour-based baking spray. See notes for using a parchment paper sling for easier cutting later. Set to the side.
- Using a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter, flour, and powdered sugar until the shortbread dough forms. Pat the dough into the bottom of the prepared 8″ x 8″ pan. Then place in the freezer or refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes to chill.
- While the shortbread dough chills, adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes at 350ºF or until it's light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly while you prepare the lemon curd filling. You can choose to leave the oven on or you can turn it off while you make the lemon curd filling. If you turn it off, remember to preheat it again to 350ºF.
lemon curd filling
- Grate a lemon with a fine grater, adding the zest to a small bowl. Then cut each lemon in half and with a lemon juicer, squeeze out the lemon juice from each lemon. Sift the all-purpose flour into a small bowl.
- Using a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix together the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, granulated sugar, and all-purpose flour on medium-high speed until well blended.
- Pour the lemon curd filling into the slightly cooled crust, then place back into the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes at 350ºF or until the top is almost set and the center jiggles just a little.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Then cover and place into the refrigerator to chill for about 1 hour (more time is always okay as well). When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar and cut using a well-sharpened knife.
- Keep lemon bars stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Recipe adapted from my Grammy's lemon bars recipe.
Keywords: super easy lemon bars, lemon bars, lemons, lemon, lemon desserts, shortbread crust