This Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake is one of the best you will ever make! It combines 2 layers of coffee cake, chocolate chips, and cinnamon sugar sprinkled over the top. It is soft, fluffy, and incredibly delicious! Serve it slightly warm for the ultimate breakfast treat!
Table of Contents
How to Make Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake
ingredients needed: all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, milk chocolate chips (or semi-sweet chocolate chips), and cinnamon sugar.
substitutions: you can swap out the sour cream for plain or vanilla greek yogurt
From start to finish, this chocolate chip sour cream coffee cake recipe is very easy to make!
Whisk the dry ingredients. This includes the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
Combine the wet ingredients. Next, you'll beat the unsalted butter until it's smooth and creamy. Add in the granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
Add the dry to the wet. When adding the dry ingredients, alternate between adding them with the sour cream. Repeat this until the batter is well blended.
It should be on the thicker side and sticky, but with a spatula you can easily work the batter into the 9" x 9" pan.
Prepare and bake. Spread half of the batter into the prepared baking pan, then sprinkle half of the chocolate chips over the top, followed by half of the cinnamon sugar. Repeat this one more time.
Place it in the oven and bake for 35 minutes at 350ºF.
As I mentioned in the beginning, this coffee cake is really best served slightly warm. Of course, it's also really good heated up the next day too!
Helpful Coffee Cake Baking Tools
Quick Tips Before Starting
- I used a 9" x 9" pan for this recipe.
- Generously spray the pan with a flour-based baking spray before adding the batter. It will help removing the coffee cake after it's been baked.
- If you don't have any cinnamon sugar on hand, it is VERY easy to make! The ratio is up to you, but a good one for this coffee cake recipe would be 1 part cinnamon to 3 parts sugar. Whatever leftover amount you have left, save it in a small airtight container or jar and use it for other recipes!
- This is really best served slightly warm. If you have leftovers, you can always heat up a square or two in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
More Breakfast Treats to Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee CakeAuthor:
- 2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 8 oz Sour Cream (can use plain or vanilla greek yogurt as a substitute)
- 8 oz Milk Chocolate Chips (divided, 4 oz for the 1st layer, 4 oz for the 2nd layer (plus any extra you might want to add))
- 4 teaspoon Cinnamon Sugar (divided, 2 tsp. for bottom layer, and 2 tsp. for the top)
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position (just above center) and preheat oven to 350ºF. Then generously coat a 9 inch square baking pan with a flour-based baking spray.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.2 cup All-Purpose Flour, 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Using your hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the unsalted butter on medium-high speed until creamy. Add in the granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.½ cup Unsalted Butter, ½ cup Granulated Sugar, 2 Large Eggs, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Switching the mixer speed to low, alternatively add in the whisked dry ingredients and sour cream. Repeat until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, if necessary. The batter will be on the thicker side and sticky.8 oz Sour Cream
- Using a spatula, spread half of the batter into the pan, then top with half of the chocolate chips and cinnamon sugar.8 oz Milk Chocolate Chips, 4 teaspoon Cinnamon Sugar
- With the remaining batter, spread over top of the chocolate chips and cinnamon sugar layer. Don't worry if it starts to mix in with the bottom layer or doesn't cover the entire top. Sprinkle on the remaining cinnamon sugar and remaining chocolate chips. Feel free to add more chocolate chips if you desire!
- Place in the oven and bake for 32-35 minutes at 350ºF or until the coffee cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Once removed, cool slightly on a wire rack in the pan for about 10 minutes, then cut into squares. Enjoy!