These Almond Sprinkle Cookies are soft, buttery pillows that will melt-in-your mouth. They're easy-to-make, taste absolutely wonderful, and perfect for the holidays! Break out the red and green sanding sugars and have some fun!
how to make almond sprinkle cookies
I'm not kidding when I say that this almond sprinkle cookie recipe comes together quickly.
For the ingredients you will need all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and an egg.
Then the star ingredient that makes the almond sprinkle cookie so buttery soft—cream cheese! Yummy yummy!
For cookie decorations you can use red and green sanding sugars, but if you wanted to be a little fancier, you could swap them out for a nice confectioners sugar glaze with some nonpareils sprinkled on top.
does the cookie dough need to be chilled?
Yes, but only for a minimum of one hour and make sure you tightly cover the mixing bowl with some plastic wrap or aluminum foil so the dough doesn't dry out.
If you plan to chill the dough for longer, make sure you bring it out to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before rolling the dough into the balls
helpful baking tools for making almond sprinkle cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Tools
Almond Sprinkle CookiesAuthor:
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 2 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Almond Extract
- Red and Green Sanding Sugar (or Nonpareils)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.3 cups All-Purpose Flour, 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Using your hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the unsalted butter, cream cheese, and granulated sugar on medium-high speed.1 cup Unsalted Butter, 2 oz Cream Cheese, 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract.1 Large Egg, 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, ½ teaspoon Almond Extract
- Chill the dough for a minimum of 1 hour before forming into cookies.
- Adjust your oven rack to the 2nd level position, preheat your oven to 350ºF, and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Take a small spoonful of dough and roll it into a ball, then in separate bowls, roll it in either the red or green sanding sugar. Place the cookies roughly 1 - 1 ½ inches apart on the cookie sheet. Once filled, take the bottom of a glass and gently push down onto the cookie to flatten a little.Red and Green Sanding Sugar
- Bake the almond sprinkle cookies 10-12 minutes at 350ºF.
- Once done, remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack.
- You can store these in an airtight container with a slice of bread in it for up to 1 week at room temp.