This Chocolate Chip Scones recipe gives you a golden brown, sparkling sugar outside with an incredibly soft and tender inside that's loaded with semi-sweet chocolate chips. They're a quick and easy-to-make breakfast or brunch treat and have the perfect level of sweetness!
Table of Contents
Reasons to Try These Easy Chocolate Chip Scones!
- A super easy to make treat that comes together quickly!
- Not overly sweet, but you can add a bit of melted chocolate to the tops, if desired.
- Soft and tender on the inside.
- Loaded with chocolate chips.
- A nice golden brown outside that's sprinkled with sparkling sugar.
Get the Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar or Pure Cane Organic Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter
- Whole Milk
- An Egg (just one)
- Vanilla Extract
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Milk Chocolate Chips
- Sparkling Sugar (for garnish)
Suggested Baking Tools
Below are the recommended baking tools needed to make this recipe.
Let's Make These Easy Chocolate Chip Scones
Below is a basic overview of how to to make this chocolate chip scones recipe. For the full recipe scroll down to the recipe card.
Whisk the dry ingredients then add in the butter. This includes all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, salt, and baking powder. When adding the butter, it should be very cold. You can cut into small cubes or grate with a large-sized cheese grater. Use a pastry blender or two forks to cut the butter in with the dry ingredients. Your mixture should resemble small flaky bits, but some larger bits are fine too.
Whisk the wet ingredients. This will be done in a separate bowl mixing together the whole milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient butter mixture, then begin to stir together with a spatula. Next, add in the semi-sweet chocolate chips. When fully combined, the mixture will be sticky and a little wet—this is okay.
Knead then shape. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet that's sprinkled with a little all-purpose flour, then knead. You'll only need to knead the dough 4, maybe 5 times. You don't want to over-knead it. Shape into a circle and pat it down to 1 ½ inches high. My circles are usually about 7 inches in diameter.
Cut, separate, then bake! Cut the scones into 8 triangles or 4 large triangles. Brush with milk, then sprinkle a little bit of sparkling sugar over the top. Bake for 16-18 minutes at 425ºF.
Chocolate chip scones can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or you can wrap them individually with plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
No, just a few mixing bowls, spatulas, whisk, bench scraper, dough blender, baking sheet, and parchment paper.
No, this is an optional step, but it does give the chocolate chip scones nice golden-brown tops.
More Beyond the Butter Breakfast Sweets to Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip SconesAuthor:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, very cold and cut into small cubes (or grated)
- ½ cup Whole Milk, plus 1 tablespoon extra for milk wash (applied before baking)
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅔ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Sparkling Sugar, applied after milk wash
- Adjust your oven rack to the 2nd level position (just above center), preheat your oven to 425ºF, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly flour the parchment paper, then set it to the side.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, salt, and baking powder. Then cut in the cold and cubed (or grated) unsalted butter with a pastry blender. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the whole milk, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour into the butter dry mixture and begin to stir together with a spatula. Add in the semi-sweet chocolate chips and mix until it forms the dough. The dough will be a little wet and sticky. This is okay.
- Transfer the dough to the lightly floured, parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Knead 4-5 times, then shape and pat into a circle that is 1 ½ inches high and roughly 7 inches in diameter.
- With a pastry cutter, cut into 8 equally-sized triangles (or 4 large) then separate and space out onto the parchment paper. Brush the tops with a little milk, then sprinkle a little (or a lot) of sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes at 425ºF. The scones should be tall and puffy with a golden brown top. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before serving. The chocolate chip scones can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or you can wrap them individually with plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.