Hot Chocolate Mini Marshmallow Cookies are a chocolate lovers dream! They're soft and fudgy cookies topped with chunks of melted dark chocolate and toasted, gooey mini marshmallows! They're the perfect treat for a chilly night!
what ingredients do I need?
To make these incredibly delicious hot chocolate mini marshmallow cookies, you will need the following items:
- Unsalted Butter. No need to have it at room temperature for this recipe because you will be melting it!
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. One bag is all you will need which will get melted in with the butter.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. For a little extra chocolate, we add some to the butter and chocolate mixture.
- All-Purpose Flour. Nothing fancy, just your general all-purpose for this recipe.
- Baking Powder. Make sure it's fresh and hasn't expired.
- Salt. Just a ¼ teaspoon is needed which gets whisked in with the baking powder and all-purpose flour.
- Light Brown Sugar. No granulated sugar is used in this recipe—just light brown sugar which really helps to give it that soft, fudgy, texture.
- 3 Large Eggs. These should be a room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract. Use the real thing, no imitation for the best results and flavor.
- Dark Chocolate. I used Lindt's Dark Chocolate, but use the brand you prefer and don't be afraid to try some different flavors, like mint chocolate!
- Mini Marshmallows. You'll end up using about 2 cups, so I recommend getting 1 bag. The rest can be used for your hot chocolate!
quick tips for making the best hot chocolate marshmallow cookies
Chill the dough. To get that nice chewy, fudgy cookie center, you should chill the dough for about 30 minutes. This also helps with scooping it onto the baking sheets!
Prep the chocolate and mini marshmallows. To keep the cookie baking process going smoothly, have these two ingredients prepped and ready to go! You don't want to keep the cookies out of the oven for too long or it will become tougher to add the chocolate the mini marshmallows on top.
Let them rest. After baking let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before you transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
how do I toast the mini marshmallows?
To toast these hot chocolate mini marshmallow cookies, I recommend using a small culinary or kitchen butane torch. Make sure the cookies have been moved to the wire cooling rack before using it, away from any parchment paper.
additional recommended baking equipment
Hot Chocolate Mini Marshmallow CookiesAuthor:
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- 12 oz Bag of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ¼ cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 6 oz Dark Chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- 10 oz Bag of Mini Marshmallows
- Adjust oven rack to 2nd level position (just above center) and preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set to the side.
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat, melt the butter and chocolate chips. Stir continuously until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in the unsweetened cocoa powder. Set to the side.
- Using your hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the light brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract on medium speed. Add in the melted chocolate mixture and mix again until just combined.
- Adjust the mixer speed to low, gradually adding the whisked dry ingredients until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, if needed.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm enough to scoop (about 30 minutes). If refrigerating overnight, please allow cookie dough to sit at room temp for roughly 15 minutes before scooping.
- Using a 1 ½ tablespoon size cookie scoop, place each cookie roughly 2 inches apart on the parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven. Add a few chopped pieces of dark chocolate and 3-4 mini marshmallows. Put back into the oven and bake for another 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. If desired, carefully use a small kitchen torch to toast the top of the mini marshmallows. I don't recommend doing this when they are still resting on the parchment paper.
- Cookies are best kept in a sealed food container at room temperature for up to 2 days.