This Pumpkin Pie Cake Bars recipe is super easy to make and perfect for fall and the holidays! It combines a delicious cake crust and a creamy pumpkin pie filling that’s topped with a buttery brown sugar pecan crumble. Dollop on some homemade whipped cream for the ultimate treat!
Grab Your Ingredients
You'll need the following ingredients to make these easy pumpkin pie bars.
- Yellow Cake Mix. You'll need one box to make this recipe. Remember to reserve 1 cup for the brown sugar crumble topping. As a substitute, you can also try this with white cake mix or spice cake mix.
- Unsalted Butter. One cup total is needed—½ cup melted for the cake bottom and ½ cup cold and cubed for the streusel topping.
- Eggs. Four eggs total are needed. One for the cake mix bottom and three for the pumpkin pie filling layer.
- Pumpkin Puree. Don't confuse this with pumpkin pie filling, which is completely different. You'll need two 15-ounce cans or one 1-pound, 13-ounce can.
- Light Brown Sugar. This ingredient is also divided. ½ cup is needed for the pumpkin pie filling layer, and the remaining ½ cup is used for the crumble topping.
- Milk. You can use any dairy milk but recommend whole milk. ⅔ cup is needed.
- Ground Cinnamon. I used Vietnamese cinnamon from King Arthur Baking. It's sweeter than regular ground cinnamon with a little spiciness to it.
Here's How to Make It!
- Make the bottom cake layer. Whisk together the yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup for topping), ½ cup melted butter, and 1 egg. Press the mixture into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Make the pumpkin pie layer. Beat together the pumpkin puree, ½ cup light brown sugar, milk, cinnamon, and the remaining 3 eggs. Spread the pumpkin mixture over the top of the cake mix layer.
- Make the crumble topping. Blend the 1 cup of reserved cake mix, the remaining ½ cup cold and cubed Plugra butter, and ½ cup of chopped pecans. Spread the topping over the pumpkin filling
- Bake for 40-42 minutes at 375ºF. Let it cool 35-40 minutes before serving, or let it cool then keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy!
While yellow cake mix is my favorite, you can also try this recipe using white cake mix or spiced cake mix as well.
A 9 x 13-inch size baking pan. It can be ceramic, metal, or glass.
Before serving, no, not completely. You should let the pumpkin pie cake bars cool for 35-40 minutes before serving. If you prefer to serve them chilled (my favorite), let the bars cool completely, then place them covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Pumpkin Pie Cake BarsAuthor:
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix (reserve 1 cup for the crumble topping)
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (divided (½ cup melted for bottom layer, ½ cup cold and cubed for crumble topping))
- 4 large Eggs (divided (1 for bottom layer, 3 for the pumpkin pie filling))
- 2 15 oz Cans of Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar (divided (½ cup for pumpkin pie filling, ½ cup for crumble topping))
- ⅔ cup Whole Milk (can also use 1% or 2%)
- 2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ cup Chopped Pecans
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup for topping), ½ cup unsalted butter (melted), and one egg. Press the mixture into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish.1 box Yellow Cake Mix, 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- In a separate bowl, beat together the pumpkin puree, ½ cup light brown sugar, whole milk, ground cinnamon, and the remaining three eggs. Spread the pumpkin mixture over the top of the cake mix layer.4 large Eggs, 2 15 oz Cans of Pumpkin Puree, 1 cup Light Brown Sugar, ⅔ cup Whole Milk, 2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- In a small bowl, using a pastry blender or a fork, blend the 1 cup of reserved cake mix, the remaining ½ cup unsalted butter (cold and cubed), and ½ cup of chopped pecans.1 box Yellow Cake Mix, 1 cup Unsalted Butter, ½ cup Chopped Pecans
- Spread the topping over the pumpkin filling, then bake for 40-42 minutes at 375ºF.
- Let the pumpkin pie cake bars cool for 35-40 minutes before serving, or let them cool completely, then chill in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy!