These Simple and Delicious Black Bottom Cupcakes are marbled masterpieces that will melt in your mouth the minute you take a bite! They are rich, chocolatey, super moist, and filled with the creamiest chocolate chip cream cheese filling ever!
Table of Contents
Behind the Recipe
I can remember growing up and being all kinds of excited when one of my Aunts would make these gooey chocolate black bottom cupcakes for a family gathering. When I'd see them sitting on the kitchen counter, my eyes would light up! They were one of my favorite treats as a kid and they still are as an adult too!
How to Make Black Bottom Cupcakes
This simple and delicious black bottom cupcake recipe is broken out into two parts—the cream cheese filling, which you make first, and the chocolate cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Filling
ingredients needed: cream cheese, granulated sugar, an egg, chocolate chips
recommended baking tools: medium-size mixing bowl (preferably glass) and hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, spatula
Before starting (and this is important!), your cream cheese needs to be softened and at room temperature. The egg should be at room temperature as well. Beat the cream cheese for 2-3 minutes on medium-high speed until it's nice and smooth. Add in the sugar, then the egg. Add in the chocolate chips last using a spatula.
ingredients needed: all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, granulated sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, water, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract
recommended baking tools: large-size mixing bowl and hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, spatula, cookie scoop, 2 cupcake tins, cupcake liners
The chocolate cupcakes is the second part to this recipe. When mixed together, the batter will be on the runnier side. This is because of using the oil which makes the cake super moist. I suggest using a cookie scoop to place the batter into each cupcake liner. It will make things easier for you and it will be less messy.
I whisked the dry ingredients together, then added the wet ingredients. Keep your hand-held or stand mixer speed on low as you add in the wet ingredients to avoid any splatter.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Your eggs should be at room temperature before starting.
- The cream cheese should be softened and at room temperature. If it's still even the slightest bit cold, it will leave small lumps in the filling and look like cottage cheese.
- Fill the cupcake liners only half way full to leave room for the dollop of cream cheese filling.
- This simple and delicious black bottom cupcakes recipe can easily be made in a 13" x 9" x 1" baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
How Do I Fix Lumpy Cream Cheese?
Here are a few tips to try if you run into the dreaded lumpy cream cheese.
Microwave it. In a microwaveable bowl add the cream cheese mixture and heat it for only 10-15 seconds at a time to help melt the cream cheese. Avoid heating it for longer amounts of time because you don't want to cook the egg in the process. Whisk the mixture again until the lumps have dissolved.
Try the food processor. Place the cream cheese mixture into a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
Start over. The warming method has worked for me in the past, but sometimes nothing seems to fix it, in which case I would say to just start over again. This time with room temperature, softened cream cheese and a room temperature egg.
More Cupcake and Muffin Recipes!
- Super Moist Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Lemon Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Chocolate Chips (can be made as cupcakes)
- Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Devil's Food Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
Need a Small Batch Version?
If you're looking for a scaled down version of this black bottom cupcakes recipe, check out my Small Batch Black Bottom Cupcakes! The recipe yields 6 cupcakes using the standard cupcake liners or more if you go with my favorite Wilton wave cupcake liners. They're just as good as the original, but perfect for a smaller crowd with no leftovers!
Simple and Delicious Black Bottom CupcakesAuthor:
chocolate chip cream cheese filling
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened and at room temperature
- 1 Large Egg, room temperature
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 6 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
chocolate chip cream cheese filling
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position (just above center) and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 standard cupcake tins with cupcake liners. This recipe makes approximately 30 cupcakes so you will need to use one of the cupcake tins a 2nd time.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy (2-3 minutes).
- Add in the granulated sugar and egg and continue to mix until completely blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula. Set to the side.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment mix together the all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and sugar on low-medium speed .
- On low speed, add in the eggs, vegetable oil, water, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined. The batter will be on the thin, runnier side.
- Using a cookie scoop, fill the cupcake liners no more than ½ full, then top with 1-2 tablespoons of the cream cheese filling.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes at 350ºF.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes in cupcake tin. Then transfer to wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- This makes roughly 30 cupcakes, so you will need to repeat this process one more time. Alternatively, you can half this recipe to get roughly 15 cupcakes.