This Berry Nutella Galette combines a buttery, flaky pie crust with a layer of Nutella and a sweet and simple strawberry and raspberry pie filling! It is easy to make, requires only a few ingredients, and no pie plate is needed! It's the perfect amount of sweetness for an after dinner treat!
what is a galette?
If you are wondering just what exactly a galette is, it is a french term which means a flat, round layer of pastry or bread.
Basically a galette is a pie without placing the pie in a pie plate. Galettes can be sweet and savory too.
For another sweet galette recipe, check out my Blueberry Peach Galettes!
berry nutella galette baking tools
To make this Berry Nutella Galette, the following tools are recommended:
- Small Knife and Cutting Board - for slicing the strawberries
- Small Colander - to rinse the strawberries and raspberries
- Mixing Bowls
- Rolling Pin
- Offset Spatula
- Parchment Paper
- Large Jelly Roll Pan - a 13" x 18" x 1" size pan worked well for me. You'll need something that has sides to it to catch any pie filling juices as the galette bakes.
- Sharp knife or pizza wheel - to cut the Berry Nutella Galette
- Pie Server - if you're feeling fancy you can use one, but a spatula works just as well.
galette baking tips
- If you don't have something with sides, like a jelly roll pan, use a baking sheet. Then place a larger size baking sheet either directly underneath or on the rack below. You'll need something though to catch the pie filling juices as the galette bakes.
- You can mix up the different fruit used with the galette - try strawberries and blueberries, blackberries, or just use strawberries.
- Any juices that leak out during baking, you can brush over the top of your galette too. So good!
- Brushing the egg wash and sprinkling sparkling sugar or demerara sugar on the pie crust edges are optional.
Berry Nutella GaletteAuthor:
- 1 Homemade or Store-Bought Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 12 oz Fresh Strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and cut lengthwise
- 6 oz Fresh Raspberries, rinsed
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice, fresh or bottled
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- ⅓ cup Nutella
- 1 Large Egg, whisked and used as egg wash for pie crust (optional)
- Sparkling Sugar or Demarara Sugar, for sprinkling over the crust (optional)
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position (just above center) and preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Prepare a large jelly roll pan with a sheet of parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out your refrigerated pie dough to approximately 12-14 inches in diameter. Carefully slide onto a sheet of parchment paper, then into the jelly roll pan. Alternatively, you can just roll out the pie dough on to the parchment paper, then place into the jelly roll pan. Set to the side.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sliced strawberries, raspberries, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Set to the side.
- Using an offset spatula, spread a layer of Nutella over the the pie dough, leaving a 2 inch gap from the edges (you'll need this for folding the edges over). You can heat up the Nutella in the microwave for about 45 seconds which makes it easier to spread across the dough.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon your berry mixture over top of the layer of Nutella, then carefully fold the pie dough edges over to form the edges. The dough will overlap as you make your way around. Your pie crust edges should cover a little bit of the berry mixture.
- If you'd like to give the crust edges a nice shine to it, whisk the egg (or just use the egg white), and apply it using a pastry or silicone brush. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar or demarara sugar (also an optional step).
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes at 400ºF.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. For garnish, melt a little more Nutella and drizzle it over top of the galette! Serve with or without ice cream.