Soft and chewy Double Chocolate Chunk M&M Cookies are a fun, chocolatey treat that's loaded with M&M's and chunks of dark chocolate! They're a simple, no fuss, no dough chilling recipe that's perfect to make for any springtime holiday or whenever!
Table of Contents
This Recipe is a Must-Make Because...
- they're a simple, no fuss recipe
- you don't need to chill the cookie dough
- they're super soft and loaded with lots of chocolate
- they won't spread
- a great treat to share with friends, family, and neighbors
These Double Chocolate Chunk M&M Cookies were created thanks in part to a Beyond the Butter reader that recently asked if they could use chocolate pudding mix in place of vanilla for my Super Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe. That question got the wheels turning in my brain to create this springtime treat! Enjoy!
How to Make Double Chocolate Chunk M&M Cookies
Here's a quick walk-through of how to make these fabulous chocolate chunk M&M cookies! For this recipe you'll need either a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
Whisk the dry ingredients together. You'll need all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and 1 packet of instant flavored chocolate pudding. I have a homemade chocolate pudding substitute below if you can't find it where you live.
Break up the bar of dark chocolate. You'll need 4 ounces of a good bar of dark chocolate, a well-sharpened knife and a cutting board for this step. Or you can simply use your hands. You will fold this into the cookie dough at the very end along with the M&Ms.
Beat the wet ingredients together. You will need vegetable shortening, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, 2 large eggs, and vanilla extract. Room temperature eggs will blend all the ingredients more evenly together.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. When the dry ingredients have been full incorporated into the wet ingredients, your cookie dough will be thick, but soft. And you'll still be able to add in the remaining ingredients—the chocolate chunks and M&Ms.
Fold in the dark chocolate chunks and M&Ms. Use a spatula or a spoon to add in the chunks of dark chocolate and 1 cup of M&Ms. This will prevent the cookie dough from being over mixed.
Scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheets. I used my 1 ½ tablespoon or medium size cookie scoop for this recipe. When baked, the cookies came out to be a little over 2 inches in diameter. Space each scoop of cookie dough about 1 ½ inches apart on the parchment lined baking sheets.
Bake the cookies. Bake the m&m cookies for 8-10 at 375ºF. Remove from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Be careful transferring them to a wire cooling rack because they'll be very soft!
Enjoy these double chocolate m&m cookies still warm with a glass of milk!
For storing, keep them at room temperature in a tightly sealed container with a slice of bread for up to a week. They'll be long gone before then though!
Unsalted Butter. You can substitute the vegetable shortening with butter, but the flavor and texture of the cookies will change. Cookies using butter should be chilled for a minimum of 1 hour before baking.
Homemade Pudding Mix. The key ingredient in this Double Chocolate Chunk M&M Cookie recipe is the instant chocolate pudding mix. It's used to boost the moisture and flavor of the cookies.
You can use the substitute provided above or you can omit it entirely from the recipe.
Dark Chocolate. You can omit the bar of dark chocolate and just use the M&Ms.
Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix Substitute
If instant chocolate pudding mix is difficult to find in your area, you can use the following recipe substitute.
- ¾ cup Non-fat Dry Milk
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Powder
- ¾ cup Corn Starch
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Whisk all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and store in an airtight container.
- Use 111 grams or 1 ⅛ cup of this homemade instant pudding mix for this Double Chocolate Chunk M&M Cookies recipe.
If you still run into trouble with finding any of the above ingredients to make the instant chocolate pudding mix, you can omit it entirely from the recipe.
The purpose of the instant pudding mix in this recipe is to boost the moisture and the flavor.
For a homemade vanilla instant pudding mix, check out my Super Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.
The Best Baking Tools for Making Cookies
Yes, absolutely, but your cookies will more than likely spread. If using this substitute, I recommend chilling your dough for a minimum of 1 hour before baking.
I include a homemade version above that can be used as a substitute. You can also omit it entirely from the recipe, but keep in mind the purpose of including it is to boost the moisture and the flavor. Removing it will alter the texture of the cookies.
The recommended baking times for this recipe is 8-10 minutes at 375ºF. Mine baked for the full 10 minutes.
Cookies should cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before you transfer them to a wire cooling rack. The cookies will be really soft too, so use a spatula to transfer them.
Double Chocolate Chunk M&M Cookies can be stored in an airtight container with a slice of bread. The cookies will take in all the moisture from the bread, leaving them softer for a longer period of time. The cookies will be good for up to a week.
More Cookie Recipes to Enjoy!
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Cookies
- Classic Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Double Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies
Double Chocolate Chunk M&M CookiesAuthor:
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3.9 oz Instant Flavored Chocolate Pudding
- 1 cup Vegetable Shortening
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- ¾ cup Light Brown Sugar, lightly packed
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 oz Dark Chocolate Bar, chopped into small chunks
- 1 cup M&Ms, use any color combination or go with holiday themed colors
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Break up the bar of dark chocolate into small chunks using a well-sharpened knife and cutting board, or your hands. Set to the side.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and instant chocolate pudding. Set to the side.
- Using your hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the vegetable shortening, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar together on medium-high speed until well blended.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add in your whisked dry mixture until well blended.
- Using a spatula, fold in the chunks of dark chocolate and M&Ms.
- With a spoon or cookie scoop (I used my 1 ½ tablespoon or medium size scoop), drop the cookie dough onto the parchment lined baking sheets and space them 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes at 375ºF.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack.
- Keep the cookies stored in an airtight container with a slice of bread for up to a week.