Chocolate-Vanilla Layered Rice Krispie Treats—a winning combination of the classic and chocolate version layered perfectly together in one irresistible recipe! It's also great for those that can't make up their mind with which one to make—like me! Finally my indecisiveness is paying off! 🙂
how to make the chocolate-vanilla layered rice krispie treats
The best rice krispie treats recipe is a favorite in this house. They're always the perfect dessert to make when you're trying to juggle a gazillion things at once because they take hardly any time to make. But sometimes I'm in the mood for the chocolate rice krispie treats, so I thought—why not combine to the two into one recipe, plus a layer in between of melted marshmallows? I know—your mind has just been blown, right?????
the chocolate rice krispie treats layer
The first part of this chocolate-vanilla rice krispie treats recipe is the chocolate layer. The ingredients are somewhat similar to the classic, but for these you add in cocoa, chocolate chips, and chocolate rice krispie treats. Basically it's a lot of chocolate, but soooo worth it!
the marshmallow layer
The next layer in this ultimate chocolate-vanilla layered rice krispie treats recipe is made up of ooey-gooey melted marshmallows and a small amount of melted butter—that's it! You spread it all out over top of the chocolate rice krispie treats layer, then move on to the classic!
the classic rice krispie treats layer
Finally, the last layer to be added is the classic rice krispie treats followed by some extra mini marshmallows added at the very end!
I was able to make all three layers in one large pot with easy clean up in between. And the best part was not having to use the oven or the mixer! Literally, the only hard part with this recipe is waiting the minimum 1 hour to let it set before cutting them into squares!
When your love for original rice krispie treats is equal to your love of the chocolate version, you put them together to make these ooey-gooey Chocolate-Vanilla Layered Rice Krispie Treats!
chocolate rice krispie treats layer
- 4 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- ¼ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1, 10.5 oz. Mini Marshmallows Bag
- 12 oz. Milk Chocolate Chips
- 5 cups Chocolate Rice Krispies Cereal
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1, 10 oz. Bag of Mini Marshmallows
original rice krispie treats layer
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ tsp. or Pinch of Salt
- 2, 10.5 oz. Mini Marshmallow Bags, divided (1 ½ bags for the initial mixture, the remaining ½ bag for the end)
- 9 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Line a 9" x 13" rectangular pan with aluminum foil, then butter or spray the inside with baking spray. Set aside.
- For the Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Layer —in a large-size pot over medium heat, melt the butter, then add in the vanilla extract, and cocoa.
- Reduce the heat and add in the mini marshmallows, continuously stirring until melted.
- Add in the chocolate chips and stir until melted and well blended.
- Remove from heat and add in the Chocolate Rice Krispies Cereal, stirring until the mixture is fully combined.
- Scoop the chocolate rice krispie treats mixture into the prepared 9"x 13" pan. Press the mixture into the pan using a spatula. Spray the bottom of the spatula with baking spray to keep the mixture from sticking to it.
- Wipe out the pan you just used with a paper towel to use for the next layer.
- For the Marshmallow Layer—using the same pot over low heat, melt the butter and then add in the mini marshmallows. Stir continuously until melted.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the chocolate layer, then spread it out using the sprayed spatula.
- You can wipe the large saucepan or pot clean after this step or you can leave it as-is since you'll be making the original rice krispie treats layer next.
- For the Original Rice Krispie Treats Layer—using the same large-size sauce pan or pot, melt the butter over medium heat, then add in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in 1 ½ bags of the mini marshmallows, stirring continuously until melted.
- Turn off the heat and add in the rice krispies cereal and stir until the mixture has come together.
- Add in the remaining ½ bag of mini marshmallows and stir until combined, but not melted - you want to leave them as almost whole mini marshmallows.
- Once combined, take the mixture and scoop it in the prepared 9"x 13" pan over the marshmallow and chocolate layers. Press the mixture into the pan using the sprayed spatula.
- Wait a minimum of 1 hour before cutting them into squares.
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, but they'll probably be all gone by then!
Visit The Best Rice Krispie Treats recipe page for more tips and recommended tools for making the perfect rice krispie treats!
Keywords: chocolate-vanilla layered rice krispie treats recipe, chocolate vanilla, rice krispie treats, rice krispy treats, original rice krispie treats, chocolate, bars, dessert bars