Chocolate Vanilla Layered Rice Krispie Treats—a winning combination of the classic and chocolate versions layered perfectly in one irresistible recipe! It's also great for those that can't make up their mind about which one to make—like me!
How to Make Chocolate Vanilla Layered Rice Krispie Treats
The best rice krispie treats recipe is a favorite in this house. They're always the perfect dessert to make when you're trying to juggle a gazillion things at once because they take hardly any time to make. But sometimes I'm in the mood for the chocolate rice krispie treats, so I thought—why not combine to the two into one recipe, plus a layer in between of melted marshmallows? I know—your mind has just been blown, right?????
The Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Layer
The first part of this chocolate-vanilla rice krispie treats recipe is the chocolate layer. The ingredients are somewhat similar to the classic, but for these, you add unsweetened cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and chocolate rice krispie treats. Basically, it's a lot of chocolate, but so worth it!
The Marshmallow Layer
The next layer in this ultimate chocolate-vanilla layered rice krispie treats recipe comprises ooey-gooey melted marshmallows and a small amount of melted butter—that's it! You spread it all out over the top of the chocolate rice krispie treats layer, then move on to the classic!
The Classic Rice Krispie Treats Layer
Finally, the last layer to be added is the classic rice krispie treats, followed by some extra mini marshmallows added at the very end!
I made all three layers in one large pot with easy clean-up in between. And the best part was not using the oven or the mixer! Literally, the only hard part with this recipe is waiting a minimum of one hour to let it set before cutting them into squares!
Chocolate Vanilla Layered Rice Krispie TreatsAuthor:
chocolate rice krispie treats layer
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 10.5 oz Mini Marshmallows (1 bag)
- 12 oz Milk Chocolate Chips
- 5 cups Chocolate Rice Krispies Cereal
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 10.5 oz Mini Marshmallows (1 bag)
original rice krispie treats layer
- 8 tablespoon 1 stick Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ teaspoon or Pinch of Salt
- 21 oz Mini Marshmallows (2 bags) (divided (1 ½ bags for the initial mixture, the remaining ½ bag for the end))
- 9 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Line a 9 x 13 inch rectangular pan with aluminum foil, then lightly butter or spray the inside with baking spray. Set aside. You can also use a non-stick aluminum foil.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Layer
- In a large-size pot over medium heat, melt the unsalted butter, then add in the vanilla extract, and unsweetened cocoa powder.4 tablespoon Unsalted Butter, ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract, ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Reduce the heat and add in the mini marshmallows, continuously stirring until fully melted.10.5 oz Mini Marshmallows (1 bag)
- Add in the chocolate chips and stir well blended.12 oz Milk Chocolate Chips
- Remove from heat and add in the Chocolate Rice Krispies Cereal, stirring until the mixture is fully combined.5 cups Chocolate Rice Krispies Cereal
- Scoop the chocolate rice krispie treats mixture into the prepared 9 x 13 inch pan. Press the mixture into the pan using a spatula. Spray the bottom of the spatula with baking spray to keep the mixture from sticking to it.
- Wipe out the pan you just used with a paper towel to use for the next layer.
- Using the same pot over low heat, melt the unsalted butter and then add in the mini marshmallows. Stir continuously until melted.2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter, 10.5 oz Mini Marshmallows (1 bag)
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the chocolate layer, then spread it out using the sprayed spatula.
- You can wipe the large saucepan or pot clean after this step or you can leave it as is since you'll be making the original rice krispie treats layer next.
Original Rice Krispie Treats Layer
- Using the same large-size sauce pan, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat, then add in the vanilla extract and salt.8 tablespoon 1 stick Unsalted Butter, melted, 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, ⅛ teaspoon or Pinch of Salt
- Reduce the heat to low and add in 1 ½ bags of the mini marshmallows, stirring continuously until melted.21 oz Mini Marshmallows (2 bags)
- Turn off the heat and add in the rice krispies cereal and stir until the mixture has come together.9 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Add in the remaining ½ bag of mini marshmallows and stir until the mixture is combined, but not the mini marshmallows are not melted. You want to leave them as almost whole mini marshmallows.
- Once combined, take the mixture and scoop it in the prepared 9"x 13" pan over the marshmallow and chocolate layers. Press the mixture into the pan using the sprayed spatula.
- Wait a minimum of 1 hour before cutting them into squares.
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, but they'll probably be all gone by then!
- Visit The Best Rice Krispie Treats recipe page for more tips and recommended tools for making the perfect rice krispie treats!
Nutritonal information provided above is an estimate only and will vary based on specific ingredients used.