Say hello to your next must-make muffin recipe — Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins! These soft and fluffy muffins are loaded with chocolate chips, with a crunchy, crackly top thanks to a little added sparkling sugar. They're easy to whip up and the perfect treat to share with the family, a good friend, or neighbor!
recommended baking tools for making buttermilk chocolate chip muffins
check out these other easy-to-make chocolate chip recipes!
- One Bowl Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Cookies
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Chip and Pecan Pie
quick tips for making the best homemade chocolate chip muffins
- If not using cupcake/muffin liners, make sure to spray the muffin tin generously with a flour-based baking spray.
- This recipe has 2 baking temperatures and times. The first is 8 minutes at 425ºF and the 2nd is 15-20 minutes at 400ºF. Reducing the temp after the first 8 minutes will give them that nice crackly top. Please note thought that some ovens (like mine did) may take a smidge longer to bake. Always begin checking on your baked goods at the earlier suggested bake times.
- This recipe calls for either buttermilk or a substitute buttermilk powder., like The Saco Pantry’s Cultured Buttermilk Blend.
- The sprinkling of the sparkling sugar on top is an optional step. It is only added to give it a nice sparkle!
- Fold the semi-sweet chocolate chips into the batter using a spatula to avoid over mixing your muffin batter.
- To give your bakery style chocolate chip muffins some height (a.k.a. “muffin top”☺️), fill them all the way to the top of the muffin tin.
- For this muffin recipe, I used Katgely's white tulip baking liners. They're not flimsy, stay upright, and don't get super greasy on the bottoms like some cupcake/muffins liners can.
- If you're using standard muffin liners, you will yield more chocolate chip muffins, approximately 21.
These Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins are soft and fluffy, loaded with chocolate chips, with a little crunch on top thanks to a sprinkling of some sparkling sugar. They're easy to whip up and the perfect treat to share with the family, a good friend, or neighbor!
- 2 1/2 cups (359 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon (7 grams) Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (3 grams) Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 cup (207 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Buttermilk or Buttermilk substitute (like Sanco Pantry Buttermilk Powder)
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1, 12 oz. bag of (340 grams) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided (1 1/2 cups for the muffins and remaining 1/2 cup, for topping)
- Sparkling Sugar (for sprinkling over top of the muffins)
baking tools needed
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level mark and preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a standard size muffin tin with cupcake/muffin liners. If you're not using cupcake/muffin liners, make sure to generously spray each muffin cavity with a flour-based backing spray.
- In a large size mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using another medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, and granulated sugar. Then add in the buttermilk and vanilla extract, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a spatula, gradually add in the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips into the muffin batter.
- Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, divide the batter into the 12 muffin liners, then top with the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, and sprinkle with a little sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 425ºF, then reduce them temperature to 400ºF and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (some ovens, like mine, took a smidge longer).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins from the tin.
- Best served slightly warm, but cooling them completely is just as good!
Keywords: bakery style chocolate chip muffins, chocolate chip muffins, muffins, chocolate chips, bakery style, muffin recipes, sanding sugar