One Bowl Chocolate Zucchini Bread—a classic that's been a favorite of mine for a long time and now I'm excited to share it with you! This easy chocolate zucchini bread recipe gives you two absolutely delicious, moist and chocolatey loaves of bread that's filled freshly shredded zucchini, cinnamon, nutmeg, and semi-sweet chocolate chips! Keep one for yourself and give the other one to a friend, coworker, or neighbor!
Table of Contents
One Bowl Chocolate Zucchini Bread
This moist chocolate zucchini bread recipe comes together easily in just one large mixing bowl using all of the ingredients noted below. After mixing everything together, you'll evenly divide the mixture into two prepared loaf tins, and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Granulated Sugar - can also use pure cane organic sugar.
- Large-size Eggs
- Vegetable Oil
- Shredded Zucchini
- All-Purpose Flour
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips - semi-sweet is my preference, but use what you have on hand.
Can I Freeze Grated Zucchini?
Yes! Zucchini can be difficult to find when not in season, so freezing any extra you have now is a great idea!
How to Freeze Grated Zucchini Without Blanching
Please note that these instructions are only for freezing grated zucchini that will be used in baking recipes.
- Begin by rinsing off the zucchini with water. Then dry and cut the ends off.
- Using a medium grater or a food processor, grate the zucchini into a bowl.
- Fill each quart size freezer bag with 2 cups of the grated zucchini (including the liquid)— the typical amount for zucchini bread, cakes, and muffin recipes.
- Then label, date, and then freeze flat in freezer for up to 1 year.
- When you're ready to use for baking, defrost the bag, then add to the recipe!
Mini Chocolate Zucchini Loaves
This one bowl chocolate zucchini bread can also be made into mini loaves! Keep the temperature the same, but reduce the baking time to 35-40 minutes.
I recommend placing all the mini loaf tins on one large baking sheet to bake them on. It makes it much easier for moving them in and out of the oven.
Cool completely on a wire cooling rack in the tins.
Mini loaves can be left out at room temperature for 2-3 covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
You can also freeze them! Double wrap the mini loaves of chocolate zucchini bread in plastic wrap then aluminum foil and place in the freezer. Mini loaves will be good in the freezer for up to a month. Place in the refrigerator the day before to bring to room temperature and, if desired, heat for 15-30 seconds in the microwave, then enjoy!
What Size Mini Loaf Pans Should I Use?
To get 8 mini loaves, I used aluminum foil bread pans that are approximately 6 inches by 3 ¾ inches at the top with it tapering to a bottom length of about 3 3/16 inches by 2 ½ inches. The pans have a depth of 2 inches.
You can find them in the baking aisle at most grocery stores. You can also get them online or at a restaurant supply store.
Recommended Baking Tools
Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recommended Baking Tools
Zucchini Bread FAQs
To help make your chocolate zucchini bread making experience go smoothly, I've included some suggested tips and recommended baking tools below!
For this zucchini bread recipe, I used my two Jamie Oliver non-stick loaf tins. Besides the pretty light blue color, they're well made and wash well after baking!
You can choose to either spray your loaf tins with a flour-based baking spray (like Baker's Joy) or grease them with shortening or butter and a little bit of flour.
The easiest way is to add a parchment paper sling that's been cut to fit each loaf tin. Just make sure to lightly spray or grease the parchment paper once placed so it doesn't stick to the bread. You can fold the parchment paper over the edges (like I do) or you can use binder clips to hold the paper down until ready to bake.
With grating the zucchini, you can choose to leave the peel on or off. Some people leave it on, while others remove it. For me personally, I removed it for this recipe. If your zucchini has a wax coating on it, I would recommend peeling it off.
No! Leave it in—it will give your chocolate zucchini bread that super moist texture.
50-60 minutes at 350ºF. I initially checked my loaves at the 55 minute mark and ended up leaving them in for the remaining 5 minutes.
Recommended cooling time in the tins is 5-10 minutes. I always go for 10 minutes personally, and then remove them from the tins to finish cooling on a cooling rack.
Craving More Chocolate Chip Recipes?
One Bowl Chocolate Zucchini BreadAuthor:
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar, or Pure Cane Organic Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 cups Grated Zucchini (do not drain excess liquid), approximately 3 medium zucchinis
- 12 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided (8 oz or 227 grams for the bread mixture, remaining 4 oz or 113 grams for topping)
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Generously spray 2 bread loaf tins with a flour-based baking spray or grease with vegetable shortening and lightly flour. Set aside. See my Quick Tips and Recommended Baking Tools above for adding a parchment paper sling to help remove the bread loaves after baking.
- In a large-size bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add in the all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and mix until combined.
- With a spoon, stir in the grated zucchini and 8 ounces of chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide the batter into the two prepared loaf tins, top with remaining ½ cups of chocolate chips, and bake for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the chocolate zucchini bread loaves in the pans for approximately 5-10 minutes before removing them from the tins, and transferring them to the cooling racks to cool completely.