Some days you're craving brownies, while other days it might be cheesecake! I say, let's combine the two together! This almost no-bake Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake recipe combines a baked, fudgy brownie bottom with a creamy no-bake chocolate cheesecake top! It’s an easy dessert made in a 7" springform pan, so it's the perfect size for a small office or dinner party, book club, or family get together!
how to make this easy chocolate brownie cheesecake recipe
This Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake recipe, or also known as the Brownie Bottom Chocolate Cheesecake, is made using a 7" springform pan. It's broken out into only 2 parts, one of which is NO-BAKE! Oh yeaaaaah!
The brownie base layer in this partial no-bake chocolate brownie cheesecake recipe is based off of my fudgy chocolate brownies with pumpkin buttercream frosting recipe which originally comes from my late Grammy's recipe box. I halved that recipe, swapped out the shortening for unsalted butter, and reduced the number of eggs to just one. Doing so allowed for the perfect brownie base layer.
no-bake chocolate cheesecake
After the brownie base has cooled, it's now time for the creamy chocolate cheesecake layer! The first step with this layer is to melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave using a small microwaveable bowl.
You'll heat the chocolate chips in 30-second increments at 50% power until the chocolate has melted completely and is smooth.
Just as reference, it took me 4 times until the chocolate melted fully. Once the chocolate is done and cooled, the rest will mix together easily!
You'll spoon the cheesecake mixture on top of the brownie base, then smooth it out using an angled spatula. Place it in the refrigerator to set for a minimum of 2 hours before serving. If leaving overnight, you can cover it loosely with some plastic wrap.
what ingredients will I need?
for the brownie base:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- Vanilla Extract
for the cheesecake layer:
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Full-Fat Cream Cheese
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Frozen Whipped Topping (like Cool Whip)
quick tips for making a chocolate brownie cheesecake
Below are just a few quick tips and the tools I recommend for making this chocolate brownie cheesecake recipe.
- I used my Zenker 7" springform pan to make this cheesecake recipe, but alternatively, you can also make these as mini chocolate brownie cheesecake bites using this 12 cavity muffin silicone mold. You would bake the brownie part for the same amount of time.
- You can prepare the 7" springform pan with just a flour-based baking spray or you can also cut a parchment paper circle for the bottom and a parchment paper strip that's as tall as the pan. Just make sure to spray the parchment paper again with the baking spray.
- This chocolate brownie cheesecake is a partial no-bake recipe. Only the brownie base needs to be baked. The cheesecake top does not.
- The brownie batter will be thick in consistency, but it won't be so thick you can't spread it out along the bottom of the springform pan.
- Once you bake the brownie base, make sure to allow it to cool completely before topping it with the chocolate cheesecake layer!
- For the cheesecake layer it's important that your melted chocolate has cooled, and your butter and cream cheese are at room temperature. The frozen whipped topping should be thawed as well.
- If you don't have an angled spatula for smoothing out the top of the cheesecake, you can use the bottom of a spoon.
- To add a decorative top, you can add some melted chocolate and cut up chunks of brownies (either from store-bought or homemade).
recommended cheesecake baking tools
I've compiled my list of recommended cheesecake baking tools below.
Some days you're craving brownies, while other days it might be cheesecake! I say, let's combine the two together! This almost no-bake Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake recipe combines a fudgy brownie bottom with a creamy chocolate cheesecake top! It’s an easy dessert made in a 7" springform pan, so it's the perfect size for a small office or dinner party, book club, or family get together!
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Prepare the 7" springform pan with a flour-based baking spray. Additionally, you can choose to add a parchment circle cut to fit the bottom of the pan, as well as, a parchment strip that is cut to the height of the pan. If you add the parchment paper, make sure to spray the pan once again.
- For the brownie base, using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Add in the unsalted butter, granulated sugar, large egg, and vanilla extract and mix until full combined. The brownie batter will have a thick consistency.
- Place the brownie batter in the bottom of the prepared springform pan, and press down using a small spatula or your clean fingers to level. It won't be perfect—you just want the brownie batter to reach the sides of the pan.
- Place the brownie base into the oven and bake for 350ºF for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with just a few brownie crumbs on it. If there is still batter on the toothpick, pop the springform pan back into the oven and monitor it every 1-2 minutes until it's done. Please careful though not to overtake the brownies.
- Remove brownie base from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding the chocolate cheesecake layer.
- For the chocolate cheesecake, place the semi-sweet chocolate chips into a small microwaveable bowl, and heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals at 50% power stirring in between until the chocolate is smooth and completely melted. This part took me 4 times. Set aside and allow too cool.
- Using a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and unsalted butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Carefully add in the melted chocolate and mix until completely blended, then stop the mixer to fold in the whipped topping with a spatula.
- Spoon the chocolate cheesecake mixture on top of the cool brownie base. Smooth out the top with a small angled spatula.
- Place the chocolate brownie cheesecake in the refrigerator to set for a minimum of 2 hours. If leaving overnight, you can cover it loosely with some plastic wrap.
- When ready to serve, unlatch the sides of the springform pan and lift up.
Keywords: chocolate brownie cheesecake, chocolate brownie, chocolate brownie cheesecake recipe, brownie bottom chocolate cheesecake, chocolate cheesecake, partial no-bake dessert, brownies, chocolate, cheesecake, brownie base, chocolate cheesecake recipe, easy chocolate brownie cheesecake