These Chocolate Caramel Blossoms, also known as Hershey Kiss Cookies, are one cookie you must add to your holiday baking list! They're soft and chocolatey cookies that are rolled in sugar and topped with Hershey Caramel Kisses! You can try different sugars to roll them in too, like I did! They're the cousin to my popular Classic Peanut Butter Blossoms recipe, are simple to make, and absolutely delicious! I dare you to each just one!
how to make the best chocolate caramel blossoms
ingredients needed: all-purpose flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, salt, dutch process baking cocoa, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, 1 egg, milk, vanilla extract, and 1 bag of Hershey caramel kisses
optional toppings: sea salt flakes, salted caramel sugar, dark cocoa sugar
Just like the classic, these Chocolate Caramel Blossoms will be a very easy recipe to make! You'll need either a hand mixer or a stand mixer to bring the ingredients together, along with a small bowl, cookie sheets, parchment paper, and 1 or 2 wire cooling racks. Basically your essential cookie making tools! This chocolate caramel blossoms recipe does come with a cookie dough chill time of a minimum of 1 hour.
When ready to bake, you’ll roll the dough into roughly 1-inch size balls and then roll them in granulated sugar. Space them out roughly 2″ apart on the lined cookie sheet, then bake for 6-8 minutes at 375ºF. You'll then remove the cookies from the oven and add Hershey Caramel Kiss to each one. Then it's back into the oven for another 2 minutes! Allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before you transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
recommend cookie baking tools
why do I need to chill this cookie dough?
Chilling this chocolate caramel blossoms cookie dough will help keep the dough together as you shape them into the cookie dough balls. It will also prevent them from spreading out too much while baking.
what other sugars can I roll chocolate caramel blossoms in?
Granulated sugar is what you typically roll blossoms in before you bake them, however, for this recipe you can have some fun and change it up! I rolled half of my cookie dough in a salted caramel sugar and the other half in a dark cocoa sugar. Both gave them a really nice flavor and a little crunch.
do I need to flatten the ball of cookie dough with a glass before baking?
No, this chocolate caramel blossoms cookie dough does not need to be flattened. You will bake them shaped as the cookie dough balls that have been rolled in sugar. Cookie balls that do get flatted slightly are these Almond Sprinkle Cookies.
quick tips before starting
- The recommended baking time for these blossoms are 6-8 minutes at 375ºF.
- There is a 1 hour minimum chill time for this recipe. My preference is always to chill the dough for longer or overnight.
- When you remove the chocolate caramel blossoms from the oven after the first round of baking, make sure you wear oven gloves! I like to keep an oven glove resting on the cookie sheet as a reminder that I need to put it back on.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack. They'll still be soft, so use a spatula and handle with care.
- As the chocolate caramel blossoms bake, unwrap the Hershey caramel kisses and put them into a bowl. When you pull the cookies out to add the kisses, this will make it go much faster!
- The salted caramel and dark cocoa sugars came from a local shop called The Spice & Tea Exchange® in Lancaster, PA. Awesome place and they have so many different tea and sugars to try!
- Add a slice of bread with your chocolate caramel blossoms in your cookie container or cookie jar. It helps to keep them from drying out. It works, I promise!
These Chocolate Caramel Blossoms are one cookie you must add to your holiday baking list! They're soft and chocolatey cookies that are rolled in sugar and topped with Hershey Caramel Kisses! They're simple to make and absolutely delicious! I dare you to each just one!
chocolate caramel blossoms
- 1 ¾ cup (248 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup (51 grams) Dutch Process Baking Cocoa
- ½ cup (113 grams) of Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup (112 grams) Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup (100 grams) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tablespoons Milk (1%, 2%, or Fat-free works fine)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup (50 grams) Additional Granulated Sugar (for coating of cookies)
- 1, 10 ounce bag of Hershey Caramel Kisses
- Sea Salt Flakes (optional)
- Salted Caramel Sugar (optional)
- Dark Cocoa Sugar (optional)
chocolate caramel blossoms
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, salt, and dutch process baking cocoa. Set to the side.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the unsalted butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in the large egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed.
- Reduce your mixer speed to a slower setting and gradually add in the whisked dry mixture until it's completely blended. The dough will be on the thicker side.
- Tightly wrap the top of the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and chill the cookie dough for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight.
- After dough has chilled, adjust your oven to the 2nd level mark and pre-heat your oven to 375ºF. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Using a spoon, scoop out a small amount of cookie dough, and shape it into 1-inch size balls.
- Roll each ball in a small bowl of granulated sugar (or a flavored sugar of your choice), then place on the cookie sheet, spacing them out approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes at 375ºF. While your cookies bake, unwrap the number of Hershey Caramel Kisses you'll need.
- When ready, remove the chocolate caramel blossoms from the oven. As you place a Hershey Caramel Kiss on top of each cookie, press down gently to spread the cookie out slightly. The cookie should show cracks as you do this, and it's totally okay! Then return the cookies to the oven and bake for 2 minutes longer.
- Cool the cookies on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooking rack to cool completely.
- Keep the cookies stored in an airtight container or cookie jar with a slice of bread for up to a week.
Recipe adapted from my late Grammy's Classic Peanut Butter Blossoms.❤️
Keywords: chocolate caramel blossoms, classic peanut butter blossoms, hershey kiss cookies, christmas cookies, holiday cookies, hershey caramel kisses, hershey kisses, chocolate salted caramel blossoms, dark cocoa sugar, salted caramel sugar
need more holiday cookie inspiration? give these a try!
- Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies
- Super Soft Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- Homemade Butter Cookies
- Classic Peanut Butter Blossoms
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Policies page.
Beyond the Butter, LLC owns the copyright on all images and written content within this blog post. If you would like to republish a Beyond the Butter recipe, please feel free to do so by using 1 photo and a link back to the recipe. If you would like to republish the recipe on your site, please link back to the original recipe at the top of the post, use your own photos, and rewrite the full recipe in your own words to make it your own.