This Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake gives you a deliciously light and creamy dessert packed with mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. It's a wonderful treat to enjoy year-round!
Why You'll Love This Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
- light and creamy in texture
- a cross between a cheesecake and cake in one delicious recipe
- packed with mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- a wonderful after-dinner treat for the chocolate chip lovers in your life!
This chocolate chip ricotta cake recipe is adapted from my lemon raspberry ricotta cake recipe. It's absolutely delicious and one I hope you'll try in this new year! Enjoy!
Grab Your Ingredients!
This chocolate chip ricotta cake recipe requires only the following 8 ingredients:
- All-Purpose Flour. Use your favorite brand of flour—I used King Arthur.
- Granulated Sugar. Gives this ricotta cake the perfect level of sweetness!
- Baking Powder and Salt. 2 ¼ teaspoons of baking powder is needed—make sure it is fresh. And you will need one teaspoon of salt.
- Eggs. You will need three large eggs at room temperature.
- Ricotta Cheese. Gives this cake its name with a light and creamy texture. Whole milk ricotta cheese is recommended for this recipe.
- Vanilla Extract. The classic vanilla taste helps bring all the flavors together.
- Unsalted Butter. This is added in melted form. Ensure it is slightly cooled before adding it to the cake batter.
- Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. You can use regular-size chocolate chips, but the mini version is a bit lighter, which prevents sinking. Sprinkle a few more mini semi-sweet chocolate chips on top before baking this chocolate chip ricotta cake, if desired. I recommend the Ghirardelli brand of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
As I did with my lemon raspberry ricotta cake, you can dust some powdered sugar over the top for a garnish.
How to Make the Recipe
Below is a brief overview of how to make this easy chocolate chip ricotta cake recipe. For the full detailed version, visit the recipe card below.
- Melt the butter. Melting the butter now is a good idea, so it's cooled slightly before adding it to the batter later.
- Coat the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. Add 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour to coat the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips before adding them to the batter.
- Whisk the dry ingredients. This includes granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients together. In a separate mixing bowl, you'll whisk the eggs, ricotta cheese, and vanilla extract. Do not add in the melted butter just yet. So far, the batter should be light yellow in color, relatively smooth, and thin in texture.
- Add the whisked dry ingredients to the wet. Use a spatula for this part, as it helps not to over-mix the chocolate chip ricotta cake batter. Partway through stirring, go ahead and pour in the slightly cooled melted butter.
- Fold in the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. Using your spatula again for this part is recommended. The ricotta cake batter will be light in color and airy and a little thick and doughy in texture.
- Transfer the batter to the 9-inch springform pan. The pan should be sprayed with a flour-based baking spray and, if desired, coated with a thin layer of powdered sugar. If desired, top with additional mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Bake, then cool. Bake the chocolate chip ricotta cake for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick to the center of the cake comes out clean. My tests of this recipe came out well at 46 minutes. The top of the cake should be light golden brown in color and puffy with golden brown sides that have slightly pulled away from the sides.
You will need a 9-inch springform pan. You can also make this in a 9-inch cake pan. However, making it in the springform pan is nicer because removing the sides makes cutting the cake easier.
Because this helps prevents them from sinking to the bottom of your cake.
Try These Other Chocolate Chip Dessert Recipes!
Chocolate Chip Ricotta CakeAuthor:
Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake
- 1 ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 ⅔ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 ⅔ cups Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- 3 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter (melted and cooled slightly)
- 1 cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (coated in 1-2 tablespoon all-purpose flour)
- Powdered Sugar (for dusting/garnish top of cake)
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position (just above center) and preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray the sides and bottom of a 9-inch diameter springform pan with a flour-based baking spray and (optionally) dust with powdered sugar.
- In a small bowl, toss the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1-2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Set to the side.1 cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set to the side.1 ¼ cup Granulated Sugar, 1 ⅔ cups All-Purpose Flour, 2 ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a large-size mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, ricotta cheese, and vanilla extract until well combined.3 Large Eggs, 1 ⅔ cups Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese, 3 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- With a spatula, fold in the whisked dry ingredients until just blended. Then stir in the melted butter and flour-coated mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. The batter will be thick and on the heavier side but airy.¾ cup Unsalted Butter
- Spoon the batter into the prepared 9-inch springform pan and top with additional mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350ºF or until an inserted toothpick into the center of the cake comes out clean. The top of the cake should be light golden brown in color and puffy with golden brown sides that have slightly pulled away from the sides.
- Let the cake cool for a minimum of 20 minutes before releasing it from the springform pan. Allow to cool completely, dust with powdered sugar (optional), and serve.Powdered Sugar
- Keep the chocolate chip ricotta cake stored in an airtight cake dome container or wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days. To keep it fresh longer, you can store the cake for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Nutritonal information provided above is an estimate only and will vary based on specific ingredients used.