Okay, so before I go annnnnny further with talking about this fabulous Easy Key Lime Pie recipe, I just want to put it out there that I used regular limes and not key limes. Why? Well, because trying to find these little gems where I live in Central PA proved to be a little challenging. But I promise you this key lime pie is just as good! The pie filling is smooth and creamy, and refreshingly tart balanced with a little sweet—and it's all baked in a Bahlsen Delice buttery puff pastry crust, topped with homemade whipped cream! So easy to make and tastes fantastic!
suggested baking tools and tips for making Key Lime Pie
Before starting this Easy Key Lime Pie recipe, give this list of suggested baking tools and tips a read!
- I used a 9" pie plate for this key lime pie recipe.
- If you don't have the Bahlsen Delice puff pastry twists available in your area, you can order them online or you can easily replace them with a different crust using graham crackers. I would recommend keeping the amounts the same.
- Likewise, if you have key limes readily available in your area, you can swap them out for the regular limes used in this recipe; however, you may need to use a few more key limes than what is noted to get the ½ cup of key lime juice and 2 teaspoons of lime zest.
- I baked the pie crust for 10 minutes at 350ºF and it came out perfect! After it's cooled, if you like, you can place it in the fridge to keep cool until the key lime pie filling is ready.
- After the pie has been baked, let it cool completely before serving. Alternatively, if you're not serving it right away, you can place it in the refrigerator to chill. This pie will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
give these other Beyond the Butter desserts recipes a try!
- Chocolate Chip and Pecan Pie
- Homemade Cherry Pie
- No-Bake Dark Chocolate Tart
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- No-Bake Chocolate Cream Pie with Chocolate Wafer Crust
This Easy Key Lime Pie is smooth and creamy, and refreshingly tart balanced with a little sweet—and it's all baked in a Bahlsen Delice buttery puff pastry crust, topped with a light and fluffy homemade whipped cream! It's perfect for summer and tastes fantastic!
- 2, 3.5 ounce packages (200g, 40 pretzels) Bahlsen's Delice Puff Pastry Twists, processed into fine crumbs
- ⅛ cup (24g) Granulated Sugar
- 5 tablespoons (72g) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon (6g) Vanilla Extract
key lime pie filling
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- 1, 14 ounces (397g) can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 teaspoons (6g) Lime Zest
- ½ cup (61g, 121 oz.) Lime Juice (approx. 3 regular, medium-size limes)
homemade whipped cream
- 1 ½ cup (118g) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 5-6 tablespoons (24g) Powdered Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons (1g) Vanilla Extract
recommended baking tools
for the pie crust
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position and pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
- Using a food processor, pulverize the Bahlsen Delice Puff Pastry Twists into fine crumbs. Add in the sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract, and blend together until the pie crust mixture forms.
- Spoon the mixture into the 9″ pie plate and press into the bottom and sides using either a spatula or your fingers. To level the bottom of the crust, you can use the bottom of a measuring cup or drinking glass.
- Place the pie crust into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. After the pie crust has cooled, if you like, you can place it in the refrigerator to keep cool until the key lime pie filling is ready.
for the key lime pie
- Keep the oven rack at the 2nd level position and preheat the oven (or keep it on at) 350ºF.
- Using a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks on medium-high speed until they become thick and creamy.
- Switch the mixer speed to low and add in the sweetened condensed milk.
- Return the mixer speed to medium-high speed and add in the lime zest and juice. Beat until fully combined.
- Pour the key lime pie filling into the pie crust and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350ºF.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving. Store in the refrigerator if you're not going to serve it right away.
- Top it with homemade whipped cream and thinly sliced limes (optional).
homemade whipped cream
- On hot and/or humid summer days, you can chill a mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 15-20 minutes (or longer, if preferred) to make this homemade whipped cream recipe!
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and continue to whip until fully incorporated.
- Spoon over top of the key lime pie or use a large-size piping bag and your favorite piping tip!
Keywords: key lime pie, easy key lime pie, bahlsen delice puff pastry pretzels, puff pastry crust, pretzel crust, pie recipes, easy pie recipes, summer recipes, key lime, key limes, limes