This Hot Fudge Pudding Cake is ooey-gooey, chocolatey and so incredibly easy to make! Grab the ice cream, rainbow jimmies, and maraschino cherries and give this recipe a try!
This recipe was originally published on February 11, 2019. It has been revised to include refreshed images and updated content.
Table of Contents
Let's Talk About the Recipe!
- It's ridiculously easy to make!
- No eggs are needed!
- It will be ready in 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Made in an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Enjoy it as-is or top with ice cream, rainbow jimmies, and a maraschino cherry!
I'm a big fan of dessert recipes that can come together quickly and this super easy hot fudge pudding cake is definitely one of them! Enjoy!
What Ingredients You'll Need
Here's the complete list of ingredients you will need to make this ooey-gooey hot fudge pudding cake!
- Granulated Sugar. Or you can also use pure cane sugar. This gets divided into ¾ cup for the bottom layer and the remaining ½ cup for the top.
- All-Purpose Flour. 1 cup is needed. I did not test this recipe using any other type of flour.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. This gets divided into 2 parts. 3 tablespoons for the bottom layer, 4 tablespoons for the top.
- Baking Powder
- Milk. Any dairy milk or lactose-free dairy milk can be used.
- Unsalted Butter. Only ⅓ cup is needed and it gets melted and poured into the bottom layer of ingredients.
- Vanilla Extract
- Light Brown Sugar
- Boiling Water
How to Make Hot Fudge Chocolate Pudding Cake
To make this super easy hot fudge pudding cake recipe, you'll need an 8-inch square cake pan. If you don't have one, I recommend this one from USA Pans which is the one I have and used with this recipe.
You will also need 2 mixing bowls, a whisk, and a spatula. No hand mixer or stand mixer is needed for this recipe!
Prepare the bottom layer. First you mix together ¾ cup of the granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons of the unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Then you'll add in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
Then it gets added to the 8 inch square baking pan. Make sure it covers the entire bottom.
Mix the dry ingredients. This is for the top layer that gets sprinkled over the top of the cake batter that was just added. This includes the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and remaining 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder.
Add the boiling water. This gets poured over the top of both layers. DO NOT STIR. I repeat, DO NOT STIR.
Bake the hot fudge pudding cake. Bake the hot fudge chocolate pudding cake for 38-40 minutes at 350ºF. Once done, let it sit for 15 minutes before diving in!
That's it! Now go make it and enjoy!
More Easy Desserts to Enjoy from Beyond the Butter!
Hot Fudge Pudding CakeAuthor:
- 1 ¼ cup Granulated Sugar, divided (¾ cup for bottom, ½ cup sugar for top)
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 7 tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa powder, divided (3 tablespoons for bottom, 4 tablespoons for top)
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Milk
- ⅓ cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 ¼ cup Boiling Water
- Adjust your oven rack to the 2nd level position (just above center), then preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking square pan and set to the side.
- Whisk together the ¾ cup granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt on medium speed until well blended.
- Add in the milk, melted unsalted butter, and vanilla extract, beating until just combined and smooth. Spoon the mixture into the prepared 8 inch square baking pan, spreading it out so it covers the entire bottom.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and remaining 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder. Sprinkle the entire dry mixture evenly over the bottom layer.
- Using a heat proof glass measuring cup or bowl, microwave the water for 3 minutes or until the water is boiling. Pour the hot boiling water over top of the two layers, but DO NOT STIR.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350ºF. Once done, let it sit for 15 minutes before spooning into bowls or glasses. Top with ice cream, rainbow jimmies, and a maraschino cherry, if desired.