These Homemade Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches combine my super soft chocolate chip cookies with the best homemade no-churn chocolate ice cream! It's an easy-to-make, crowd pleasing, summer dessert!
about the recipe
This homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches recipes combines two of my favorite treats—chocolate chip cookies and ice cream!
The chocolate chip cookies recipe is straight from my super soft chocolate chip cookies recipe. It's a super easy-to-make recipe that doesn't require any dough chilling, and you get a really nice soft and chewy cookie with a little crispiness to the outside—perfect for these ice cream sandwiches!
This homemade no-churn chocolate ice cream recipe is incredibly easy to make as well, super rich and chocolatey, and doesn't require an ice cream maker!
If you're looking for a fun dessert to make for the family or even with the family, this is a good one to try! You can make the cookies on one day, the ice cream the next, and combine the two together then enjoy!
how do you make homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches
chocolate chip cookies
These are really quite easy to make! To start, for the chocolate chip cookies, you can use my Super Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe. I've also noted some other cookie recipes below that you can use instead, if you so desire.
You can make these cookies ahead of time and keep them stored in an airtight container until it's time to add the ice cream which will take some time to set.
no-churn chocolate ice cream
For the ice cream part, I made this creamy, homemade no-churn chocolate ice cream that is out of this world! It's made from only a few ingredients: heavy whipping cream, cold sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate. It mixes together very quickly, but the hard part is being patient as it firms for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight.
And if making homemade ice cream isn't your thing, you can easily use store bought!
ice cream sandwiches
After the ice cream has been made and is firm, you're ready to put everything together! I placed 1 scoop (about ¼ cup) onto the flat side of the cookie and then topped it off with the second cookie that's similar in size.
That's it! See—SUPER EASY!
For something different, you can add chocolate jimmies (sprinkles), crushed oreos, or finely chopped pretzels to them as well. To store the ice cream sandwiches, I recommend wrapping them tightly in some wax paper and placing them in the freezer for up to a week.
what are the best cookies for making ice cream sandwiches?
You probably can't go wrong with any cookie when it comes to making homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches. That being said, here are the top 5 best Beyond the Butter cookies for this ice cream sandwiches recipe!
- Super Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies
- Super Soft Chocolate Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies
helpful ice cream and ice cream sandwich making tools
Homemade Ice Cream Cookie SandwichesAuthor:
homemade no-churn chocolate ice cream
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream, cold
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk, cold
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅔ cup 4 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate, melted
super soft chocolate chip cookies
- Find the full recipe here.
homemade no-churn chocolate ice cream
- Using a double-boiler (fill the bottom boiler with about 1"-1.5" water) over low heat, melt the chocolate. Set aside and allow to cool. Alternatively, you can also melt your chocolate in the microwave in a heat-proof bowl in 30 second increments at 50% power. Depending on the type of chocolate you use, this can take anywhere from 2-4 times.
- Using your hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the heavy whipping cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the cold sweetened condensed milk.
- Switch the mixer speed back to a medium-high speed, continuing to whisk until it is thick and forms stiff peaks. Once done, then add in the vanilla extract.
- Add in the cooled melted chocolate to the ice cream and whisk on medium speed until it is completely blended.
- Transfer the ice cream to an airtight container or metal loaf or cake pan lined with either wax paper or parchment paper, and freeze for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight before scooping onto the chocolate chip cookies.
assembling the ice cream sandwiches
- Place one scoop (or more if you wish) of frozen ice cream (about ¼ cup) onto the backside/flatside of the chocolate chip cookie.
- Take the second cookie of similar size and push down gently onto the bottom part of the sandwich.
- Wrap tightly in wax paper and store in freezer for up to a week.