Ahh my first post of the new year—Chocolate Peppermint Swirled Brownies! This recipe combines a bottom layer of fudgy chocolate brownies with a swirled top layer of peppermint and melted dark chocolate! It’s like eating a more decadent version of my homemade peppermint patties! And besides tasting incredibly good, they’re also very easy to make!
how to make chocolate peppermint swirled brownies
to make the brownies
baking equipment needed: 9″ x 9″ baking pan, flour-based baking spray, spatula, and for mixing—a stand mixer with paddle attachment, hand-held mixer, or a large mixing bowl and whisk.
Like most brownie recipes, they’re simple to whip up. The one important thing to remember though is to only mix the batter until just combined. Do not over mix the batter! Over mixing will cause the gluten within the flour to grow, which will alter the texture of the brownies.
The recommended baking time for these chocolate peppermint swirled brownies is 32-35 minutes at 350ºF. Every oven is different, however so make sure to begin checking your brownies at the earliest baking time!
using a brownie mix is okay too!
Alternatively, if you’d rather skip the homemade brownies, you can use any brand of boxed brownie mix (18.3 ounce box). You can optionally add in a 1 teaspoon of espresso powder and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to increase the flavor as well.
to make the chocolate peppermint swirled topping
You can make the chocolate peppermint swirled topping when the brownies have cooled almost completely. I like to use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment for this part, but a hand-held mixer would work just as well. As you mix the peppermint topping it will thicken, so whisking by hand might prove to be a bit more challenging. The key to this part is to make sure all of the ingredients have been mixed well together so you get a nice creamy texture. Once mixed, you’ll set this to the side while you melt the chocolate.
Add the dark chocolate and vegetable shortening in a microwaveable bowl and heat in the microwave in 30-45 second increments at 50% power until it’s fully melted and smooth. Stir together with a spoon or small spatula to make sure it’s ready.
The last part is to spread the peppermint over top of the cooled brownies. The mixture will be thick, but still spreadable. Then you’ll immediately spoon the melted dark chocolate over different parts of the peppermint topping. You can use either a toothpick (my preference) or a knife to make the swirls.
Lastly, you’ll cover the chocolate peppermint swirled brownies and refrigerate them for about 30-45 minutes to let the chocolate set and the peppermint firm up a bit. When ready to cut, allow the brownies to sit out at room temp for 15 minutes or you can run a sharp knife under hot water to cut the squares.
recommended brownie baking tools
quick tips before getting started
- Generously spray the 9″ x 9″ baking pan with a flour-based baking spray. I always use Baker’s Joy which has never let me down!
- If you prefer to cut your brownies outside of the pan, you can add a sleeve of parchment paper. Spray the pan with baking spray, place your parchment paper sleeve along the inside, then respray.
- The recommended baking time for this Chocolate Peppermint Swirled Brownies recipe is 350ºF for 35-38 minutes. If your brownies still jiggle slightly in the middle, you can take them out. Another way to check—if an inserted toothpick still has brownie crumbs on it, you can take them out. If it has brownie batter on it, leave them in, but continue to check on them!
- Wait until the brownies have pretty much cooled to spread on the peppermint filling and melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate the brownies (covered) for 30-45 minutes to let the peppermint topping and melted chocolate set.
- For cutting: let them sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Or, remove them from the refrigerator and cut them with a sharp knife that’s been run under hot water. The latter will also give you nice clean cuts!
- Keep the brownies stored in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. But they will probably be eaten by then!
This Chocolate Peppermint Swirled Brownies recipe combines fudgy chocolate brownies with a swirled top layer of peppermint and melted dark chocolate! They’re a must make any time of the year!
- 1 cup (139 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup (47 grams) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Vegetable Oil
- 3 ounces Dark Chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup (319 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups (409 grams) Confectioners Sugar, firmly packed
- 4 tablespoons (53 grams) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Evaporated Milk
- 2 teaspoons Peppermint Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 ounces Dark Chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Shortening
- Melt the dark chocolate in a microwaveable bowl in 30-45 second increments until fully melted and smooth. Set to the side to cool slightly.
- Adjust the oven rack to the 2nd level position and preheat the oven for 350ºF. Spray a 9” x 9” baking pan with a flour-based baking spray, then set to the side. See tips in blog post if using a parchment paper sleeve.
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and unsweetened cocoa powder until well blended. Add in the vegetable oil, melted dark chocolate, water, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract and beat together until just combined.
- Spoon the brownie batter into the prepared 9″ x 9″ baking pan and bake for 32-35 minutes at 350ºF. If the brownies still jiggle slightly in the middle or if an inserted toothpick has brownie bits left on it, they can be removed from the oven. If there is still brownie batter on the toothpick, then they should continue to bake, but keep checking them!
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before topping them with the peppermint and melted chocolate.
chocolate peppermint swirled topping
- Using your hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the confectioners sugar, unsalted butter, evaporated milk, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract on medium-high speed until the mixture has blended completely, and is nice and creamy in texture. Set to the side while you melt the dark chocolate.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, melt the dark chocolate pieces and vegetable shortening in 30-45 second increments at 50% power until fully melted and smooth.
- Spread the peppermint over top of the cooled brownies, then spoon the melted dark chocolate over different areas of the peppermint. Take a toothpick or a knife and swirl the two together.
- Cover and place the chocolate peppermint swirled brownies into the fridge for 30-45 minutes to allow the peppermint and chocolate to set.
- When ready to cut, remove the brownies and allow them to sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can remove them from the refrigerator and cut them with a sharp knife that’s been run under hot water.
Peppermint filling adapted from my Homemade Peppermint Patties recipe.
Keywords: chocolate peppermint swirled brownies, brownies, chocolate brownies, peppermint swirled brownies, chocolate peppermint, peppermint patties, fudgy brownies, 9″ x 9″ baking pan
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Policies page.
Beyond the Butter, LLC owns the copyright on all images and written content within this blog post. If you would like to republish a Beyond the Butter recipe, please feel free to do so by using 1 photo and a link back to the recipe. If you would like to republish the recipe on your site, please link back to the original recipe at the top of the post, use your own photos, and rewrite the full recipe in your own words to make it your own.
give these other Beyond the Butter brownie recipes a try!
- The Best Salted Pecan Pie Brownies
- Double Chocolate Mint Brownies
- Layered S’mores Brownies
- Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake