When you take a bite of one of these fudgy chocolate brownies with pumpkin buttercream frosting, be prepared to have a glass—or two—of milk handy. These brownies are rich, chocolatey, and fudgy—the trifecta of how any really good tasting brownie should be! Smother on this creamy, pumpkin buttercream frosting and you have total perfection!
fall is (almost) here
I know it’s still August, but a flip just switched in my brain when I was on my little social media vacation last week and now all I can think about is fall and fall desserts. I’m sure a lot of it is because most of the stores have had their fall merchandise out since July (yep, July), maybe it’s because of being on Pinterest, or maybe it’s because preseason NFL football has begun (Go EAGLES!!!). Whatever the reason, the first dessert that popped into my head almost immediately were these fudgy chocolate brownies with pumpkin buttercream frosting. Speaking of that frosting, I won’t even say the number of times I thought about sneaking a few spoonfuls!
fudgy chocolate brownies with pumpkin buttercream frosting recipes
This fudgy chocolate brownie recipe, adapted from my late-Grammy’s Perfect Brownie recipe, is pretty straightforward and doesn’t take long to prep or bake. Folding in the semi-sweet chocolate chips is purely optional.
With the perfect blend of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, this creamy pumpkin buttercream frosting recipe, adapted from an old church cookbook, also comes together quickly and makes just the right amount to cover the brownies.
start pinning these favorite fall desserts
- Chocolate Cake with Oreo Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Chip and Pecan Pie
- Irresistible Peanut Butter Tandy Kakes
- Chocolate Pumpkin Cake Roll
- Super Moist Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake
recommended baking tools for making browniesPrint
These Fudgy Chocolate Brownies with Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting will get you ready for all things fall! Easy to whip together on a weeknight for those evening brownie cravings or to share among friends and coworkers!
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (optional)
pumpkin buttercream frosting
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and generously spray a 9″ x 9″ pan with a flour-based baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together together the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Using your hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the vegetable shortening and granulated sugar together on medium-high speed until well blended.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the vanilla extract until completely blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Switching the mixer speed to low, gradually add in your dry ingredients a little at a time and blend until just combined.
- Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips. (optional)
- Scoop the brownie batter into the prepared 9″ x 9″ pan and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350ºF.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before topping with pumpkin buttercream frosting.
pumpkin buttercream frosting
- Using your hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat together the unsalted butter and pumpkin puree on medium-high speed until well blended.
- Add in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, if needed.
- Switching the mixer speed to low, gradually add in the sifted confectioners sugar about 1 cup at a time until the frosting comes together.
- Using an offset spatula, generously frost the top of the brownies with the pumpkin buttercream frosting. Alternatively, you can use a piping bag and a piping tip of your choice to decorate the top of the brownies.
Keywords: fudgy chocolate brownies with pumpkin buttercream frosting, fudgy chocolate brownies, chocolate brownies, brownies, pumpkin, pumpkin buttercream frosting, buttercream frosting, frosting, buttercream, fall desserts, fall dessert recipes, easy dessert recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Policies page.
Beyond the Butter, LLC owns the copyright on all images and written content within this blog post. If you would like to republish a Beyond the Butter recipe, please feel free to do so by using 1 photo and a link back to the recipe. If you would like to republish the recipe on your site, please link back to the original recipe at the top of the post, use your own photos, and rewrite the full recipe in your own words to make it your own.